Chester images

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I managed to spend a couple of hours in my old home town of Chester, UK recently and did some photography in the evening - GF1+20mm

• Like Like x 16
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Love the cobbles. Great atmosphere.
  3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Great photos of your old stomps, Ian, great eye. A bit of the old and new. :)
  4. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    nice the are still inspiring me!!
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I challenge you to post a photo that isn't amazing

- Eliot
  6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Fantastic Iansky. You are a continual reminder of the awesome capability provided by one classic m4/3 body and one classic m4/3 lens.

Most of us get so wrapped up with various new bodies and new lenses and such, and you continue to knock out stunning images with what was, for me, my first m4/3 body and lens. I love seeing what you and your GF1 with 20mm lens can create.
  7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Wow!!! How on earth did you managed to pack all those shades of gray in one picture? Awesome!
  8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thank you all for the nice feedback.

I tend to keep cameras that I enjoy using for as long as possible or until a genuine viable and affordable replacement appears rather than be a "Gear head" who owns but does not use.

To date I do not see any viable replacement for the GF1 as yet but lets see if rumors come to fruition and Panasonic release a good quality replacement soon.
  9. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Love the water and the cobbles - really nice :)

I love how you can see the motion of the water; very well captured!
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Raw - the way to go

I have since converting to Digital always shot in Raw (used to shoot JPEG as well but no longer) as the Raw provides the ultimate facility to capture the true image in "1 shot" rather than multiple exposures later merged.

I start by doing my basic editing in Photoshop using ACR then editing the Contrast, colour and Lightness I will then use curves if necessary and finally unsharp mask before opening up the image in Silver Efex Pro (I consider this software the ultimate for good B&W conversion in my case).

I do find that using the High structure setting in SFX allows me to create a B&W image that I like and then by tweaking the vignette/tone/border is my final tweak.

I would recommend anyone who likes B&W and does not currently use SFX to download the trial version and experience the superb results you can get from it.

Good luck.
  11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

I wanted to capture the movement in the water and get it to add that blurred but running effect - I found a suitable object (wall) to rest the camera on and used an 10sec exposure at f8 to get what I wanted.

I managed to find part of an old handrail to hold the camera firmly against for the alley shot - again 10sec at f8.

The 20mm lens on the GF1 produces some incredible quality images and I tend to find I can capture most of what I want with this combination.
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Really love that last image. Great work!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Expert work with the long exposures, Ian .. and a really deft touch with your post-processing.
  14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ian... you are a continual inspiration. GF1 and 20/1.7 simply rock.

I'm with you on shooting RAW and processing. Far better quality and image potential flexibility vs. in-camera JPG capture, but it does ask just a little bit more from the photographer to bring the image to it's maximum potential. That "little bit more" is a small price to pay for the result. PS, LR3, and SFX are wonderful tools to bring one's RAW images to their best final result! Ansel Adams would most assuredly shoot RAW and process with LR/PS, were he alive today. Thanks, yet again, for the reminder of the quality of our m4/3 "roots" (GF1 and 20/1.7).
  15. spowell

spowell New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2010
    Melbourne, Aus

Hi Ian
    Awesome photos of the Dee and the weir it brings back so many memories, a lot of my family live in Chester.

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great images! The water is just superb.
  17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks again for all the nice comments - Raw rocks and SFX helps it rock even more!!