1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

CHEST PACKS for E-M1 when hiking, cycling, skiing etc

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by greenboy, May 24, 2014.

1. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Hi all, newbie here,

I had a pretty good system for my old superzoom camera, using the Mountainsmith Zoom-S case. The camera's own strap around my neck provided top strap and when I wore the Zoom-S case it provided protection and kept the camera from swinging around, using a provided multipurpose clip-on strap. The case allowed me to carry extra batteries and cards as well. I could zip top most of the way if desired but still have quick access. It worked out great for hiking, cycling, etc because it kept everything snug and out of the way of the activity's demands.

HERBK_D2.

I'd like to do something similar for a E-M1 but also have more room for the Oly 12-40mm, 60mm macro, and 75-300 lenses, and also be able to use with dayhike or backpacking bags. So more space, and in a way that I could continue to use the camera's own strap as part of the system. I've looked at a few products but feel I could benefit from knowledge of more. Any product suggestions?

2. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Cotton carrier has a system. I think Spyder does as well I've not used either. I recently purchased a Peak Design Capture and Pro Pad. I put the Capture on my backpack strap or, if not using a back pack, the Pro Pad with capture on my belt. Seems to work pretty well. You see pictures of them holding FF cameras with big lenses and after using it that just looks uncomfortable. But for an E-M5 it works well.

3. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Hey SkiHound,

I'm not seeing where that gives you access to 2 or three extra lenses up front though, nor a little protection from elements and bugs at 65 mph

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V2.0 to hold my E-M10 with any lens up to the M Z 75-300 (w hood reversed), or unzipped and extended with the hood. I use the Backpack Connection Kit on a Wingnut Gear Adventure Pack. The Adventure pack has zippered pocket on either side that can be reached from the front, and they are large enough to hold the 75-300 or 12-40 in a padded lens sleeve.

I started using this combo without the Backpack Connection Kit using the Digital Holster Harness instead. This was a little uncomfortable when riding my mountain bike because it would ride up on my back and dig into my neck. With the Backpack Connection Kit, it is balanced by the load in my pack and is much more comfortable.

I also use a Peak Design Capture Clip attached to the strap of my pack. This is very useful when I go to change the lens, or I need a quick place to park the camera.

Think Tank also makes modular components that will attach to the Holster, but I'm not using any of these.

14081461460_d0f120a26a_o.
    IMG_3284
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

14181775271_fb42558888_o.
    Pack
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    No, I guess I didn't know quite what you had in mind. I know that Clique (SP?) makes a couple of chest packs. I also know that Ortlieb makes a waterproof chestpack. No experience with any of them, however.

• Like Like x 1
  6. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    Good deets there, Harvey. Thanks! And thanks for the additional trails to check out, SkiHound...

7. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I like my Lowepro Flipside 400, but of course it's a backpack so it doesn't work if you already want to have other stuff in the backpack. But access to the camera gear is super easy, just get the shoulders out of the straps without releasing the waist belt and swing the bag around and you have access to everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCAMU2A2ws

You might be interested in one of the F-stop bags. They work like the Lowepro flipside bags but they are also backpacking bags, with internal camera units. You can put in a small ICU to bring just the essentials and use the rest of the bag for other stuff or you can put in one of the larger ICUs when you need to bring a lot of camera gear.

http://fstopgear.com/