1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheers from the Canadian Arctic

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by edmaruyama, Sep 26, 2013.

1. edmaruyama

edmaruyama New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2013
    Iqaluit, NU, Canada
    Ed Maruyama
    Hi there everybody!

Is there anyone else around from "up north"? I am professional photographer, well, at least part time photog, who lives in Iqaluit, Nunavut! Yep! Canadian Arctic!

My main "tools" are from Nikon (D3s/D700 + a whole whack of lenses/flashes) and Elinchrom, but I am REALLY positively impressed by Olympus E-P5! I'm really happy to use my old faithful Pentax Takumar 85mm f/1.4!!! along with a few other older toys... :smile: It's hard to believe how GOOD the IS is! :)

I also have an older EPL3, which I must confess I am not 100% happy with, whenever the light is far from ideal, it kinda sucks... which happens quite often... :frown:

Anyways, www.edmaruyama.com has a few of my shots, and hopefully soon will have more shots with micro 4/3's gear... hope you guys can spend sometime and check out some of my work!

Comments are always welcome!

I'll keep checking the post office constantly as I'm waiting for the Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 to arrive!!! I think it will be a sweeeeeeet combo! especially for travel photography and low light scenarios...

Thanks again for your time! Cheers!
    Ed

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Ed, from the 'far south' - Detroit :biggrin:.

I sincerely hope that the "Canadian Clipper" stays closer to ya'll this winter than it does to us'ns down heah.*

Glad to have you with us - I've only been as far north as mid-Alaska, never above the Arctic Circle (unless you count air travel).

Nice photos on your site but the Making Of The Igloo gave me the shivers :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

*"The Canadian Clipper" is a fast and furious cold front that swings down from the Arctic and raises havoc with car batteries and home heating budgets here in Detroit at various times during the winter. Brrrrrr......

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Wow, you just might be our northernmost member. :biggrin: A WARM welcome to you! :wink:

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    welcome, looking forward to seeing more of your photos posted here!

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! The E-P5 is next up on my wish list. I'm quite satisfied with my E-PL3, so if the E-P5 is that much better . . . wow. :eek:

6. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Not as far north as you, but at least in Canada.

7. edmaruyama

edmaruyama New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2013
    Iqaluit, NU, Canada
    Ed Maruyama
    Thanks everybody for the warmth! :) much appreciated!!! And I had a pleasant surprise last night after work heading home from the post office!!!

A package from JAPAN came in!!! Hoooray!!! Holy hooooly smokes! The voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 is here!!! and even though I didn't have enough time to fully play with it, the few shots i've taken so far are amazingly awesome!!

I think it will be my all around camera combo! it feels "heavy", but nothing compared to a full frame and f/2.8 lenses... so, now I think I have portability AND quality! :) I AM a happy puppy!

The IS seems to be quite sweet too... even for VIDEOS! so it's going to be quite interesting to get more videos along with photography... guess it's gonna help me broaden my horizons...

Hope i'll be able to post a few shots over the weekend!
    cheers!
    Ed

8. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Welcome to the Forum, Ed!

9. edmaruyama

edmaruyama New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2013
    Iqaluit, NU, Canada
    Ed Maruyama
    First thoughts on EP5 and Voigtlander 17.5mm

Thanks again for the greetings... I've posted some thoughts on the Initial Impressions' thread.
    Quick snapshots... but I think it will be a wicked combo even for "paid gigs"!

Cheers!
    Ed