Checking Shutter count on your E-P1 and E-P2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andyw, Feb 20, 2011.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Checking shutter count on E-p1, E-P2, E-PL1 & E-PL2

By following these steps you can check your shutter count as well as a few other things. Follow these steps:

1. While holding the "Menu" button, press Power button to switch on

2. Press "Menu" and go to "Monitor brightness adjustment" screen

3. Press "Info" and "OK" button at same time, you will see the screen showing "Olympus"

4. Press the following buttons in the sequence: Up, Down, Left, Right and then press the Shutter, followed by Up (dial button in my E-P2)

5. Engineering mode page is seen. Press dial button to Page 1, 2, 3, and "D".

6. Shutter count is on "Page 2" under "R".

The other lines on the screen mean:

R: shutter release count
    S: flash use count
    C: CMOS cleaning mode (with mirror lock-up - in E-410 series)
    U: number of ultrasonic dedusting, ~ number of power switch on
    V: number of use of LiveView
    B: number of shot using In-Body Stablization

Please be careful when doing this. Although it's probably perfectly safe to do this i hold no responsibility if you mess up your Pen.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Andy, thanks so much for this thread. Inquiring minds will be happy to have this.:2thumbs:

3. Erik_L

Erik_L Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    OP -

You rock.

That is all.

:)

4. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Same instructions work on the Olympus E-PL1.

5. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    I finally got it to work, cool! Very useful info!
    2186 shots taken...

6. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Works on E-PL2 also :smile:

7. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks for the tip.

I just got the refurbished E-P1 and checked the shutter count, only 402 clicks!

8. eternallurker

eternallurker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Cool.

This post reminds me of Contra.
    UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A B A SELECT START.

9. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I was thinking of the same thing when I was doing it.:smile:

10. al_pacino

al_pacino New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2011
    Anyone knows what's the maximum number of pictures registered by the counter when the the sensor of PENs should be replaced? What's the life expectancy of the sensor in a PEN?

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Unless you burn holes into the microlenses / bayer matrix layers by pointing the camera lens directly into the sun for extended periods of time, I wouldn't worry about the sensor. And if a handful of pixels become stuck, you can still map them out of the picture without much degradation for quite a long time.

The question is more about the mechanical shutter life expectancy. I haven't read any estimate for this. Usually, pro Olympus bodies like the E-1 / E-3 / E-5 are tested good for 150.000 actuations. But consumer level cameras (all brands) have shorter lifespan, about (generally) 20.000 to 50.000 actuations. This figures are to be taken with a grain of salt, as they are established from stress tests that continuously fire the shutter over a short time frame. On the one hand, real life usage pattern is more relaxed, so the shutter can have a much longer life expectancy. But on the other hand, some materials (plastics) used for parts of the shutter can degrade on their own as time goes by even without using the camera, and the final shutter count can be dramatically reduced (the Canon film camera EOS-100 was notorious for such a defect, as was the T-90 before it - my father in law's EOS-100 died well before the 2.000 actuations, pity, he didn't used it much and it was otherwise a very fine camera for its time).

In a pinch : shoot, shoot a lot, and have no regrets. Like Achilles, better a short and glorious life than a long and dull one.

Cheers,

12. al_pacino

al_pacino New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2011
    Just discovered that my camera bought as new, has around 3200 shots on its counter :(
    I hope that its sensor will pass the 20000 actuations limit if not more...

13. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    LiveView use is 0

In the service menu, what is the "R" metric for LiveView? My E-P1 has 380 shutter actuations but 0 LiveViews shots. I thought the E-P1 had live view all the time. What am I missing here?

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting. Holding menu down while turning it on does nothing special. I wonder if my E-PL1 has some funny setting.:confused:

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    That's normal : you turn on the camera holding 'menu', when the screen appears you release the button and press it again to enter the menu. And then you follow the recipe from there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Great tip... I cannot wait to learn to use the PL2 more...

17. Sirrith

Sirrith New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2011
    Just tried this on my E-P1, and I'm just wondering, its showing a higher shutter count than I've taken pictures with it (60 count, I've taken about 20 shots maybe) and one use of external flash. Does this mean my E-P1 was a refurb unit? Or do they test it at the factory?

18. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Just tried it, and works on my E-PL2 too, thanks! I think the code gave me 3000 bonus shutter cycles.

19. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Just to revive this post for new users.

I am terrified, as my E-PL1 is showing now more than 28000.... and my home folders show 9800 of those survive to haunt my disk.

20. eawhitcomb

eawhitcomb Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2011
    Waukesha, WI
    If I spend $900 on a camera -- it better not come with 3200 shutter releases already. But what is an acceptable number of shutter releases on a new camera?