Check out VSL

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WJW59, Feb 27, 2012.

1. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Kirk Tuck is a pro photographer in Austin, TX and has an interesting blog site. He on occasion uses various M4/3 cameras including an E-PL2, E-P3, GH2, and he recently bought and semi-reviewed a G3. This apparently caused a ruckus on DPReview and he wrote a humorous/sarcastic reply, complete with photos of what the G3 can't do, and posted it today. It is worth a read.

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: "Kirk Tuck Swung and Missed This TIme."

Here is the entry that started the the conversation: The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: A small camera I've been playing with. Yesterday. Panasonic G3. The pre-OM-D.

BTW, I'm a regular reader but otherwise unaffiliated with VSL/Kirk Tuck.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    ...pretty funny, and a bit of truth too. Shame on us :)

Despite the E-m5 housing the G3 sensor there is no doubt many will see from it a quantum leap in IQ. But don't we all in our own way do that sometimes ?
    Haven't we all at some point taken a barely perceptible, even negligable improvement and used that to justify giving the credit card another whooping ?
    In fact I'm guilty of that right now...torn between an adequate Oly 9-18 I already have and the slightly more adequate (and expensive) Pany 7-14 that I don't !!!

An interesting perspective on the dynamic between brilliant marketing and a GAS infected consumer base.

Thanks for linking.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I appreciate his writing style ... over the top sarcasm coupled with a thesaurus.

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Hah, I LOL'd!

On the G3 being "too small" - "I have a series of magnifying glasses with which to actually operate the camera. They are used in conjunction with miniaturized tools to poke the buttons."

But as one of the commenters said on the second article, "don't argue with idiots."
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI