1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Check out these action shots by the E-M5!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hkpzee, Jul 10, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Cool. Hope the guy comes back and answers some of the questions raised in the comment section. :tongue:

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What those shots show is how one deals with the limitations of AF-C on mirrorless cameras. Those images could be captured by any camera with reasonable short shutter lag. In every single one, the subject is moving parallel to the plan of focus (or almost stationary. That's pretty easy for any AF camera.

The challenge, and where m43 still falls short, is with subjects moving towards or away from the camera, especially when shooting in burst mode or trying to precisely time the shutter release. Try shooting a track event, with half a dozen athletes running at top speed straight towards the camera. In burst mode, my EOD 50D captures more than twice as many shots because my GH2 is struggling to focus in-between shots. The 50D provides a larger percentage of in-focus shots, too. Same deal shooting auto racing. And no, the OM-D is not significantly better than the GH2 is this respect.

Yes, you can pan and shoot the runners and cars moving parallel to you, but a good DSLR simply provides more options when shooting action.

I love my m43 gear, and use it far more than my DSLR, but pretending it doesn't have problems with C-AF is denying reality.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    For me its not about denying reality but learning to work with current limitations. There is a compromise to be made with every camera; often times more than one compromise. My hope is that the guy who shot the pictures of his dogs will answer the comment questions about what his settings were so that the rest of us can learn and hopefully increase our keeper rate with the OMD in similar situations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not going to argue with you cause you are right BUT:

https://www.mu-43.com/f54/day-races-28126/

These pics of racing greyhounds we've all seen prove it CAN be done. So unless shooting these kind of shots is a LOT of what you do ... a bulky DSLR system is superfluous.

By the way, I completely agree with the sentiments in your sig but it may be a long time till the feeling takes hold. You are being completely logical. Unfortunately then I suspect decades if ever before our brains get over the incongruity hopefully to become an anachronism.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree: This is exactly what I took away from the article. It is not trying to make the m4/3 system out to be more than what it currently is, but to find a way to work effectively with the limitations.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Good one! I've learned a lot from DonParrot in that thread how to use C-AF on the E-M5 more effectively, too!

8. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I was at a 4th of July party with some friends and their kids, and they'd set up a small waterslide in the front yard. I kept trying to get a sharp shot of the kids coming down the slide (towards me), but they all turned out blurred. I was using the Oly 45mm lens, and the slide itself was sharp, but the kid just wasn't sharp. I think my shutter speed was fast enough, 1/250 or so, but I just didn't get it right. I tried to pre-focus halfway down the slide, so I could just capture the kid as she moved past the middle, but I think the shallow DOF got me there and I focused behind the kid.

I'm sure it could be done, but I needed more time to sort out the right settings and get the timing down.

9. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

1/250s wasn't fast enough. With everything else being sharp, that tells you the shutter speed isn't fast enough. Call all the kids back, rent another water slide, and try it again. ;)

10. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I recently shot at my grandsons' school sports. The longest lens with me was the PL45 but I still managed to get some quite good shots of kids running and jumping, standing as close as I could to the action.
    I set shutter priority to 1/500 and the only blurring was due to bad focusing. I'd have several runners in focus but often missed my target by a few feet.
    I didn't prepare well enough and was mainly using the pre-focusing method which isn't very accurate with a shortish lens.
    Probably I should've tried C-AF.
    I most cases the movement was toward the camera with just a few across me.

It is definitely possible but clearly requires a bit of thought and practice.

M

11. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I just posted this thread that shows some action shots of kayakers if you wanted to see some more of the E-M5 with action.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f57/kayakers-over-falls-29351/

Here's an example:
    2012-07-07_11-40-24.

Taken with E-M5, Panasonic 45-200mm, handheld
    My settings:
    - 1/1250, f/5.4, ISO 200, 171mm
    - IS on, Center-weighted exposure
    - AF-S, high speed burst (9fps)

The camera focused darn near instantly and it was fairly easy to get shots like this, if you practice and get familiar with the focus system and shutter lag (very very slight).

• Like Like x 1
  12. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Oh yeah, I'd be remiss if I didn't post a picture of a dog in action...
    2012-05-26_17-12-331.

Settings: E-M5, Panasonic 45-200mm, handheld
    - 1/2000, f/4.5, ISO 800, @78mm
    - IS on, ESP metering
    - AF-S, high speed burst (9fps)

• Like Like x 1
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Great kayaking shots, jon595!

FWIW, here is an action shot (maybe a little slow action), but taken with my E-M5 + the slow-focusing Zuiko 50-200SWD fully extended:
    P7080030_02.

I guess the thing that's somewhat remarkable with this shot is that the sailing boat is moving towards the camera...

14. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    So how much of a problem it is for E-M5 to focus a fast moving "incoming" subject? I am heading out this weekend for some water ski shots and I want to try some head-on shots with the E-M5 and the Panny 45-175 lens.

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Check out this following thread by DonParrot:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f54/day-races-28126/

It has some great tips. To summarize:
    1) use the smallest focus box available (14x magnification box);
    2) no time to focus and recompose, so move the focus box to the part of the frame you anticipate the target to move to;
    3) use C-AF (not C-AF tracking) and burst mode (low burst rate);
    4) turn the EVF to high frame rate;
    5) if contrast is low, use vivid mode with +1 contrast setting (if you shoot RAW, you should leave it in this mode to maximize your chance of hitting focus);
    6) practice!

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes. I shot some slow moving soccer last night with the OM-D (youth league). Fortunately, I am much higher on the learning curve reading and implementing Don Parrot's suggestions and suggestions from others.

I haven't looked at the images yet, but the entire experience was not very satisfying ... which is a good thing because before Don Parrot my experience was pure frustration.

The EV blackout and updates while minimized are still distracting and worse actually a cause of missed shots. A dSLR is a superior machine for action photography. That doesn't mean you cannot get exceptional action images out of the OM-D, it means that your hit ratio is lower (lower consistency than a dSLR) and one has to work harder to attain the exceptional image. I'm finding that setting the camera in S-AF mode and use it more like a manual advance SLR, shooting only the peak of action, will deliver the best results (at least for me). I am still trying out different settings.

Gary