Check Out My New Bat

humzai

Mu-43 Veteran
I just had a pretty great Eid yesterday. I was able to take delivery of my E-M1 but unfortunately did not get play much with it at all until last night. I was tired and running on fumes and I think I was thinking a bit funny. I wrote this up last night and thought some of you guys might enjoy it.

I just spent some quality time with my e-m1. I have to say that taking it out of the wrapping, I felt impressed mostly by the feel and weight of the camera. It felt much better in the hand, I was surprised how light it felt compared to the e-m5 with the vertical grip on. It feels light but very solid, kind of like when you pick up something made of titanium or maybe an aluminum bat is more apt comparison. It feels like you could knock in some heads with the thing, you know, makes you feel like running out and busting some of them damn heads up right good. I speak metaphorically of course.

I also must say that as I started to fiddle with it, I felt underwhelmed and started to feel some buyers remorse. I was wondering did I really need to upgrade, I was sad it didn't come with the 12-40mm lens. I also was getting pissed at the damn live guide and lack of the scp.

I finally got some time to get to know it better and all that crap evaporated. The remorse the worry, it all sort of drifted away. It felt like an old friendship rekindled, those last 5 years we never talked, when did that happen. It also felt like that friend knew me better and was a lot smarter, it felt good rekindling that bromance.

I hope you enjoyed my impressions of the camera and I will say that if you love your e-m5 then you shall love the e-m1 even more.

I am heading back out with my bat...

A few more things I thought might interest those on the fence. The ergonomics are very improved and might be the biggest reason along with the pdaf to buy this thing. I am loving the mode switch and I haven't even messed around with it much. Once I get the settings customized I am sure I'll love it more. The 4 way button is much nicer and those two new function buttons are located right where they should be. It is certainly an interative improvement but it is one of the best iterations of anything I have ever seen. Olympus spent there time thinking things through and it seems much of those niggling faults have been alleviated.

I need to spend more time with the wifi app but I get the feeling that it is going to be an irreplaceable tool in your box. I felt the lack of articulating display when I hopped the panny m4/3s fence but the app makes up for it. I might not end up using it much but just having the ability will be useful situationally. I hope that they add some way to manage settings on the app. It could be fantastic to have a profile management tool built into it.

I'll try to add some more thoughts as I get to know the camera better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom