Cheapest u43 body with articulated screen & decent video

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pdk42, Jan 29, 2017.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My daughter is doing YouTube videos and want something better than her iPhone. Given that I have a few lenses (!), I thought a cheap u43 body (probably Panasonic) would be a good idea. The basic requirements are:

- Cheap (I'm assuming used)
    - Half-decent video
    - Articulating screen for self-monitoring ("selfie" mode)

I thought an older GF or GX would do the trick but they don't have articulating screens.

Thanks!

2. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Define "Cheap". But you can get a Panasonic G7 used for less than US$500

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    GH1

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The G series have articulating screens - my daughter has a G3

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

G5 or G6 have good 1080p. I think the G6 was the first one to offer zebra stripes and other video features, but I'd need to check.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What phone does she have? It might be a better investment to upgrade that. A lot of phones do really good video.

Other than that, you might check out EPL-5/6 and GF7 They are not fully articulated, but flip up 180 degrees to face forward.

7. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    G5 or G6 should be sufficient and really cheap used.

Although spending $100-$200 on lights and using the iPhone might be a better investment.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks everyone. I think a G3 or G5 would be ideal. Is there a massive difference in video quality between them?

9. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, spotted that one at MPB. Given that the G5 adds 1080p @ 60fps, I think it's the best option. Thanks!

11. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    A hacked GH2 is pretty excellent, mine was thrown in for free when I bought a used E-P5 but I'm sure you can buy one for really cheap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Considering it's for YouTube will there be an observable difference?

With the hack installed the GH1 is the cheapest articulated swivel screen HD m43 camera.

Plus you get a full coverage of the sensor in 16:9 with its multi aspect sensor too

• Like Like x 1
  13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That GH1 footage is pretty impressive. There are a few on eBay for sub £100 so I guess that's the way to go.

14. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    As a bonus you'll get access to cheap aftermarket batteries (I use them) and a remote power battery system exists for running from an external power supply too :)

Still loving mine, indeed I prefer using it sometimes when recording interviews at work because it's far more simple to use than the GH4 we have. (Man talk about menus and features, many new contract operators coming from Canon dslr are put off)

15. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Cheapest with a fully articulated screen with 'decent' video would be a Panasonic GH1... once you hack the firmware, then you can get upward to 100mbps data rate on the video (as opposed to it's original stock 17mbps).

You'll want to consider external sources for recording audio though.

Around $100 USD or so, the hack as mentioned before will allow for generic batteries, and also to unlock the ISO bump (though ISO 3200 videos aren't all that great, but least it has a lot of details.)

Couple from my recently acquired GH1 (been using the LPowell max latitude patch, and the 75mbps one when I need 60fps in 720p). Nothing too fancy yet, been too cold.

16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why would I need an external recorder? Is the in-built mic poor? My daughter is only 14 so external recording is probably a step too far.

17. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'd agree with it being a step too far. Myself I find the audio quality quite acceptable.
    The primary issue is handling noise and the physics fact that the mics being distant from the subject is not ideal (see any studio setup)

when / if you want external recording I'd go with a cheap external system and my H1 is actually fantastic value for money. I paid $50 new on a runout sale and ebay sells them used from $10

18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The pre-amps on all cameras suck, so while you don't really need an external recorder, a good external mic will drastically improve the audio. People will tolerate horrendous video, but if you have bad audio, people go off the deep end.

This video shows you some good cheap options.

19. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    It depends on your "need" , It was a general suggestion based on the complete lack of audio control, and always-on-auto-gain. Granted the internal mic on the GH1 seems nicer than the internal mic on the E-M5. However there's an utter lack of volume control and no way to monitor the audio (not even a VU meter), at least on my E-M5 I can set low/standard/high.

Also the GH1 requires a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, so you can't just plug those mics in directly (through an adapter is only a couple dollars, but it's something you'll want to get so you're not waiting a few extra days finding out the hard way that the mic doesn't plug in).

In regards to a 14yo daughter...(which I didn't bother to read completely before making that suggestion) the internal mic is plenty for environmentals/omnidirectional sounds, but a shotgun mic can be useful for keeping everything in front heard, and most stuff on the side quiet.

In regards to using a mic like a Rode, keep in mind that the GH1 does not have plug-in power (or if it does it's only 1.5v), something like the Video Mic Go for $60 will not work because it requires at least 2.5v out of the mic port. You'll want a mic that provides it's own power for the best result.

You can get a Takstar SGC-598 for about 50 or less, and it's powered by a single AA battery.
    Or Azden SMX 10 for $70 or less if you want stereo shotgun and powered by a single AAA (~400 hours from one)
    Azden SMX-10 Stereo Microphone SMX-10 B&H Photo Video

The Zoom H1 is always nice to have if you don't have a recorder already. Since you can just take it out by itself, record interviews, environmental sounds, traffic noise, etc, and put them on top of the youtube video later. For something that's $100 new, it does a really good job, and as you said they can be found on sale, or used.

The H1 can also be mounted on top of the camera, much like a run-n-gun style mic with a line out to the camera, it just needs one of those little hot shoe adapters.

The official Zoom one is this : Zoom HS-1 Hot/Cold Shoe Mount Adapter To 1/4" ZHS-1 B&H

But you can find it for a dollar or two, since it's just a tripod socket to a hot shoe mount.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  20. pellicle

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    a key point (my underline) that is really annoying in interviews with AC noise "raising and lowering" in the background.

Its also significant that on the GH1 you can (even without the hack) set exposure manually during video (unlike some of the other bottom enders), this way people moving around (say wearing a white shirt) don't bring the video darker or brighter ... the ability to manually set all things (aperture, shutter, ISO, white balance) on the GH1 is very helpful for making your videos look much better.