Cheapest film camera you can get on ebay.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by colbycheese, Jun 12, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have been debating which film camera i should get but I don't want to spend alot. I currently have a Nikon FE but i was looking for something lighter, perhaps a rangefinder. The thing is, from what i can tell they aren't that cheap. So my question is, what are the cheapest film cameras you can get on ebay (rangefinder, or not)
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    A rangefinder won't be lighter per se.

Since you have the FE, I'm going to assume you have some Nikon lenses as well. One of the lightest Nikon film bodies was the EM which is also very small, similar to your EM10. The Nikon EM along with an E series pancake 50mm is a small and lightweight combo. The EM while often overlooked by snobs was also a pretty good camera. You can often find the body alone for $10 and with the E series 50mm lens for around $30 or so.

As far as weight, the EM with 50mm lens will weigh the same as the FE body.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus XA might be worth checking out.
  4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    Just to add another camera, I bought a mint Olympus Trip 35 a few weeks ago. It weighs 400g, same as the EM10 body, uses no batteries and has a fixed 40/2.8 lens which is pretty sharp. Focusing is by zone focusing only and there are only two shutter speeds to work with, 1/40 and 1/200.

These can be had typically for $20-30. I paid $50 for mine but it was in mint condition with original leather case with a date code of June 1970 and the metal shutter release. Later ones had a plastic shutter release.
  5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Agreed. The FG or better still the even lighter FG20 are also worth a look.

If you want to go smaller still there's always the early 80's Minox's (GT, ML, etc.) but for some of them you'll need odd batteries, or batteries in an adapter tube.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Cheapest won't likely be a rangefinder, but an SLR. You could always buy mine:

[emoji14] or, you could look for one of the really common but still reliable SLRs from old times (like a Mamiya 1000DTL) or the eighties (Like a Konica FS1 or FC1, Konica Hexanon lenses are really nice, and you can frequently find these only lightly used).
  7. Zobeid Zuma

Zobeid Zuma Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    You can usually pick up a Sears KS-2 body under $40. This camera was actually a re-branded Ricoh XR7, which was the top of the line in its day, and it accepts Pentax K-mount lenses. They are quite solid. You may (probably will) have to replace the foam seals around the door, but that's easily done.
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Any camera made in millions, eg Pentax MX. Should be loads about for reasonable money.
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    What's the purpose of having a 35mm film camera? Is it just to shoot film? You can probably pick up an autofocus compact p&s zoom from 1996-2002 for less than what the battery would cost. I wonder if my Olympus XA or RC from the 70's were much better than the Stylus cameras that came out 20-30 years later. The primes were certainly sharper, but coatings on the zooms were better, plus the zooms are versatile.

There is a good feeling that comes with a metal body range finder. My RC still works, but the polycarbonate XA fell apart. The Olympus OM1 and OM2 are nice too, almost as small as an EM5, but if you really want to have fun, an Olympus PEN half frame would be much like M43 today.

I've been trying to shoot off 4 rolls of (new) B&W film with a Pentax K1000 and 28-85 zoom like agentlossing is selling. It's a a sweet camera, but sure is big and heavy, and it's hard to find excuses to leave the house with it. Got one roll finished, but I don't want to mix my chemicals til I get all four done.
  10. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    • Agree Agree x 1