1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheaper EP-1 or wait for E-PL2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by superstitious, Jan 9, 2011.

1. superstitious

superstitious New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2011
    Hello all,

First post here. I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks. I have been studying and trying to decide which of the Pen camera I want. My budget isn't very big so I was narrowing down to just the E-PL1 with the normal kit lens. However this past week, Olympus announced the new and improved EPL2! I also noticed the price of the EP1 has gone down quite a bit and can be obtained for about $450 or less new. Now I am confused. I like the EP1 retro look but the EPL2 looks very nice too. I am just a P&Ser looking for a better IQ and don't know a bunch about photography. The art filters are the perks I would probably use quite a bit. I just want great quality photos that are easy to create. So what do you all think would be more appropriate for casual shooter like me? I'll mostly be shooting my cats, landscape, scenery, and some portraits. Probably going to start in IAuto and work my way in as I am learning. So in another word, which one is a better beginner MFT camera? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Kanya

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    skip the ep1, the AF is not as good, and you can not add all the accessory. And it does not shoot at high iso as well as the epl-1 or the epl-2. The epl-1 is dropping in price. 399 at some sites.

The epl-2 you get a moot point 6400iso. Not very good at that high. But you get 1/4000 second shutter speed vs 1/2000 on the epl-1. You also can use a cable release with the usb port that oly still did not correct on the epl-1. And you get the better video lens with the new 14-42. And the couple more art filters. But you will be paying full msrp for it.

IQ will be the same with the epl-1 and epl-2. It is still the same sensor and processor. So you need to decided is the extra feature like the better video lens, higher shutter speed, and the cable release worth it. If you are going to shoot more video, then the msc lens might be worth it. But for photos, the 1/4000 and cable release was not enough for me to add the epl-2 to my m4/3 kit. Also I do not use the art filters.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Lots of small differences between epl1 and epl2. Big difference on interface is EPL1 is ALL buttons. Want to change the aperture in aperture priority mode? Push one button to arm the other ones and then push the left button and right button to actually adjust the aperture. I grew to hate it, never really got comfortable with it, and sold the camera largely because of that one feature (or lack thereof). The epl2 has a control ring on it for doing basic changes on the fly. If you don't mind buttons, the epl1 is a great deal. If you think don't like buttons or think you might not or have used a camera with a control dial/ring, I'd say spend the extra money. It makes the whole experience a lot nicer imho.

-Ray

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The dial is reported to be to easy to move, so you can ev by mistake according to some of the testers. But the you really need to try them out at the store. I use camera's with dials on my dslr's. And have gotten my muscle memory down with the epl-1 that I pretty much keep my eye on the vf2 and adjust from there. So it does not bother me that there is no dials. So it comes down to pretty much personal preference.

5. superstitious

Jan 2, 2011
    Thank you for the input guys. So it sounds like the EP-1 is out of the running since it doesn't offer anything else for me other than look. So it came down to EPL1 and EPL2. I don't think I'd mind using the buttons. I've tried the EPL1 in the store and it did feel nice and sturdy in my hand. I'm not too impress with the LCD being so small and low in resolution. I like the 3 inches screen on the EPL2. I really don't mind spending a little extra for the EPL2 if it's going to be worth it. I probably won't be doing a lot of video. So the new lens kit doesn't account much in my opinion. Anyway, the shutter speed 1/2000 and 1/4000, is that a big difference and what would it affect really? I have no idea.

Shoturtle - where can you find the $399 EPL1. The cheapest I found was on Staples for $409 with the $50 rebate.

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    there where couple on amazon. But I am pretty sure the epl-1 will drop a little more once the epl-2 hit the shops.

The lcd on the epl-2 is better, but i never use the lcd on the epl-1 or any of my camera except for my point and shoot. I find the vf2 to be way better for framing. But I never really use a lcd for anything.

The 1/4000 is only useful if you are shooting say the 20 1.7 around 2.5 on a sunny day without a ND filter. So it can be useful. But it is only a minor improvement.

Given the 200 dollar difference. I would put that toward a vf2. It is a very useful add on.

PS
    Bestbuy had it for that price last month

7. superstitious

Jan 2, 2011
    Bestbuy had it on sale right now for $449. I don't think that's a real good deal considering the new Pen will be coming in soon. Thanks again for your input. I might wait a bit to see what's the EPL2 looks like in person and then decide. Isn't it suppose to come out later this month?

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be sure to test out the E-PL1 before buying. I found the 14-42 kit lens that it includes to be quite frustrating - focus was slow, and in low light or at close distances it would often hunt and misfocus. The 14-42 lens included with the E-PL2 is a new design and focuses much more quickly and accurately. For that reason alone, I would go with the E-PL2.

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    This indeed is a dilemma.
    For me, although the improvements in the EPL2 would be nice I
    1) Have never needed a faster shutter speed than the EPL1 so far
    2) Have never been frustrated by the relatively slow focus for the shots I have taken so far
    and I wouldn't have needed them any better for all the shots I took for the last 4 years with my other cameras.
    I would like the bigger clearer display but I don't think my shots so far would have been better because of one.

If the money really counts for you, I don't think you would necessarily be making a mistake to buy the EPL1 if it is at a bargain price compared to the EPL2.
    And bear in mind there will come about an EPL3 or the equivalent eventually.

10. superstitious

Jan 2, 2011
    Spuff, it is indeed a dilemma. I did try out the EPL1 before and liked how it feels. Because of others and yours inputs, I have decided to took the plunge and bought the EPL1 from Staples for $399 after the $50 rebate this week. It is a deal and I can't pass up! I might be wanting the EPL2 or 3 or 4 later on but I am happy now. I thought long and hard about it and the only thing I would notice being a novice like me would be a bigger screen which I found doesn't worth the $200 upgrade. I played with it a bit before charging the battery and I love it already! The IQ is amazing and much better than my old Kodak P&S. It's going to be a long night reading the manual, updating firmware, and experimenting. :biggrin:
    Spuff, you're right I don't mind the slow autofocus since it's not something I ever had before so there's nothing to compare to.

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The firmware will speeds the AF up. Allot of the AF speed issue was from before the 1.0.1 lens update. You will actually notice it once you do it. I would still put the 200 dollar saving toward a VF-2 or the 20 1.7.

12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    PS congrats, it is a fun little camera to use

13. superstitious

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks a bunch Shoturtle. Once the battery is all charged up I will definitely do the update. I will definitely looking for vf-2 deal soon. Anyway, Dhazeghi mentioned about the inaccuracy of the focusing on the lens, is there a way to fix that or the firmware will address that? I noticed a bit of an off focus on some of my test shots.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I did not have to much issue with low light shooting where the lens hunted. But either kit lens the older or newer one will hunt in very low light. 3.5-5.6 is not very bright. So if there is not enough light to get good contrast the camera will hunt.

I have had it hunt with the panny 45-200 in low light also. For really low light shooting the big 1.7 prime is what I uses. It is more about the physics then the lens with the hunting.

16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Congrats!

I concur with shoturtle. You should definitely put the 200 dollars saved towards the 20 f1.7! My kit lens has been stored away since.

Just my opinion, but the high-end P&S's are not that different from the m43 cameras with the kit lens, but paired with a prime (like the Panny), and it widens that gap by a substantial amount. I will eventually pick up another mu-43 body, but I'm probably keeping this lens.

Hate to go on about gear, but this particular item was a game changer for me.

btw- I could be wrong, but don't some EPL1's come with the firmware already updated?

17. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    some of the older stock does not have the firmware update done. So it really depends on when the camera was produced.

18. superstitious

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks ZephryZ33! I am enjoying it so much. My cats are getting annoyed I am sure. :D As for the firmware, this one is probably from the old stock like Shoturtle said. I had a problem connecting to server yesterday but it worked today. So I'll be seeing if the firmware help or not. When I was shooting last night, I noticed it searched forever before focusing. I am loving the IQ on this thing! I never get into high end P&S but my friend has a Canon G12 and it does have a good IQ too. Anyway, I'll definitely be saving up for the Panny 20 m since everyone raves about it. Maybe I'll get as my own present from my upcoming bd. :)