1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap weather sealed option?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Tadgh78, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    The weather won't be the best for the next few months (at least in most places in the northern hemisphere) but I'd still like to go out for a walk most days and take my camera with me. The problem is my camera is a Panasonic g3 which of course is not weather sealed. All my lenses (with the exception of the Oly 9mm bodycap lens) are Panasonic as well.

Now I could get an EM5 and the Oly 12-50 weather-sealed lens. But I don't want the bother of batteries and chargers for two different systems and some of my lenses, the P20 for instance might not play nice with the EM5 (banding issues).

Afaik the only Panasonic weather-sealed bodies are the gh3 and gh4. The gh3 is going for about 500 euro used. That still seems like quite a lot of money to spend just for the sake of keeping the rain off...

I don't suppose there is any point in getting an Oly 12-50 or other cheap weather sealed lens, putting it on the g3 and putting the g3 inside some sort of 3rd party plastic housing (if such a thing exists)?

Another option that crossed my mind was the Fuji finepix S1 bridge camera. The S1 is weather-sealed but I'm not sure I'd be happy with the image quality from a sensor less than a quarter the size of the m43, at least not on dull, rainy overcast evenings in January and February.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Third party plastic housing? How about a plastic bag tied around the camera body with the 12-50 sticking out? The pros used to do stuff like this all the time before WR came along. Manipulation of the camera controls shouldn't be too much of an issue if the bag isn't too tight. And if you're shooting in Intelligent Auto, it's no issue at all.

That said, I think you really might like the E-M5 if you tried it. The sensor is a generation ahead of the chip in the G3 and the five-axis image stabilization really is useful. Happy New Year!

• Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    People think that having different batteries and all are a hassle, but it's not that bad. Right now, I'm running 3 different systems and my Nikon's run on 2 different batteries.

The big thing is, if you like the EM5 and the Olympus menu system. That's going to be a bigger issue than the batteries and accessories.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Pentax K-50? They are going for ludicrously cheap prices these days, you get an APS-C sensor, in-body image stabilization, and a flock of weather-sealed lenses are available for reasonably cheap prices.

But yeah, that's another system, which probably defeats the purpose. It would be what I would go to for cheap weather sealing, no question. If I wanted more than slow zooms, though, I would have to bite the bullet and think E-M1/GH4 plus the f2.8 zooms...

5. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks guys. I ordered a mint used 12-50 for 200 euro. For a weather sealed the body I'll be employing the "sandwich bag method" with my panasonic G3. So I'll see how that works out. At any rate with its 12mm wide end and pseudo macro mode the 12-50 is quite a versatile walk around lens if not a top performer in terms of sharpness. I look forward to using it.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That depends on individual circumstances. For travel, carrying multiple chargers and multiple types of spare batteries is a huge hassle. For example, I'm leaving the US for East Africa on Wednesday. A number of places on the itinerary are not served by mains power, only by part-time generators. I am carrying two GX7s, seven batteries and three chargers. The large number of batteries will allow at least three days shooting with no recharging and the three chargers will be working simultaneously when temporary generator power is available.

For travel, I don't even want to think about trying to deal with multiple battery types and chargers. Logistics, weight, physical volume, ... nothing gets better with additional battery types.

7. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I understand the sentiment, but theoretically with two systems you get the benefit of the additional capacity anyway... seven batteries is seven batteries whether or not they are different batteries. And seeing how you yourself already have three chargers, well naturally having two from two systems is not such a big deal. In fact taking a page from your book, perhaps there is a primary and a secondary camera, the secondary being less used AND for the primary carry two chargers and the secondary carry one. So the same number of batteries, same number of chargers as you and a "mass" charge capability. I like this very much and probably will implement it.

The only difference I see is the weight of the second body, which is probably offset by the capability fielded - that is, if you use it to field different lenses for different purposes in a mixed environment.

I only mention this, with all due respect, because I did this recently on a trip and came away with several shots that I absolutely would NOT have gotten if I did not have a body with a wide and a body with a telephoto with me at one time. And in my case one is an Oly and one is a Lumix.

In a pinch if the primary runs out of batteries, there would always be using the secondary as the primary. No fewer frames certainly...

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. However the difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, they are the same. I still stand by my statement that logistics, weight, and packing volume do not get better with additional battery types. You are only arguing about how much worse it might be with multiple types. Fine.

Re two bodies that is even more OT.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Travel is a whole different ballgame. If you are traveling for pleasure - having multiple camera systems is a real pain just in general and when I do travel for extended periods, I'm bringing my DSLR just for the battery life alone. My Df gets 1400 images per battery and I have 2 extra batteries.

If I'm traveling for a job, then that is a different story all together. You just have to be smart when traveling and bring/rent the right tool for the job.