1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cheap Vivitar 75-300 (FD) on Pan G2 in Bronx, NYC park~

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by SteveNunez, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hello everyone, here are a few photos I shot today while walking through Crotona Park in the Bronx, NYC.
    These were shot using a FD adapter that allows Canon FD manual focus lenses to be used with the G2 in Aperature Priority mode. I am not very happy with the results as they're a bit soft with no tripod support.
    I shot them at f4.5 so this probably contributed to the soft focus as it's probably not the sweet spot of this particular lens, Vivitar 75-300 4.5-5.6 $69 lens! I probably should have shot in full manual and bumped iso up a bit to get faster shutter speeds.
    I'm semi-happy considering it was my 1st outting with the camera and my real 1st use (aside from some indoor shots.)
    So here's what I captured~ a mated pair of mallards, a robin and a red tail hawk.
    Handheld at 300mm (or very near 300mm.)
    I am looking to buy a Sigma 50-500 (and adapt to G2) as this is what I've owned in the past with my Canon DSLR's and it was a good bargain at $999 (now raised to $1599- ouch!)

• Like Like x 8
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Not bad at all hand held with such a long lens.

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
  4. SteveNunez

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    B&H doesn't seem to list the non-IS versions........are the IS versions IS internally- would they work with an adapter and retain IS?

5. SteveNunez

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I ended up buying the Sigma 50-500 in Nikon mount with an adapter (Nikon to m4/3) and this version has the adustable aperture ring.....pix to come soon!

6. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Wow these are way better than my results to date using the same lens (k mount version) and an adapter on oly ep3. Am finding it very hard to manually focus and keep steady much over 150mm.

7. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Better luck with the focus now that I've got the VF2 - shot at ISO 800, 1/2000, f4.5, 300mm . Still soft though - I'll try smaller f stop...but thrilled to get 600mm equivalent by busting out a lens I got in 1993 :) 

6761683719_de71812f9a_b_d.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

8. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    That cheap Viv is one of my favorite long lenses. One of the reasons I bought the Pen was to be able to mount it on something digital. I only have the C/Y version and I can't mount that on my Pentax DSLR. Well worth the $20-30 if you can find one, IMHO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.