1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap Versatile Prime

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sammaritan12, Dec 17, 2012.

1. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    Hello all I would like a cheap versatile prime for my E-PM1. The prime should be reasonably fast (At least 2.8) and I would like the focal length around 50mm equivalent.
    Hopefully it should be around $80 as I still need an adapter as well.

Thanks.

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Shouldn't be hard to find a good 24mm or 28mm f/2.8 lens plus adapter at that price. I was really happy with a Vivitar 28/2.8 "Close Focus" for a while earlier this year.

3. sammaritan12

Dec 17, 2012
    Nice! Are there any other lenses that are a bit faster for the same quality (ie. maybe f2)?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There was some 28mm f2 for not an insane amount of money, but it will be VERY soft wide open. For fast primes in this range, the Pana 20 will be better bang for the buck.

5. sammaritan12

Dec 17, 2012
    So at the price range I'm looking at f2.8 is the best aperture to sharpness combo?

Edit: I've looked around on eBay and would the Canon FD 2.8 or 2.0 be a good lens?

6. fwa2500

fwa2500 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    OXD
    i cant speak for the other lenses out there, but i am very happy with my old Minolta lenses. they are nice quality and can be had pretty cheap, for your $80 budget you should be able to pick up both a 28mm f2.8 (look for the Minolta Celtic model, same optics as the Rokkors but at a lower price) and a 50mm f1.7 (this would be a Rokkor).

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love my Nikon E series 28mm f2.8. It is very light and compact but has good IQ and pleasing bokeh. Close focus is 12 inches which isn't bad, although not real close. The Nikon series E lenses got a bad rep years ago but not because they are really bad but just because it was a switch for Nikon going from metal to plastic bodies. The later models are a little better made and nicer looking{regular focus ring grip instead of the cubed design}.

I also have a Vivitar 28mm f2.5 but don't care for it. It is a beast in size and weight{for a 28mm}. The extra tiny bit of aperture is non-exsistant in the real world and the IQ/bokeh is no better than the Nikon. I had a Hanimex 28mm f2.8 and it was pretty good. Small and light like the Nikon E{just a tiny bit bigger}. The IQ was not quite as good as the Nikon but it would focus closer{10 inch if I remember correctly}

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  9. sammaritan12

Dec 17, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going to Trash and Treasure (Aussie Fleamarket) on Sunday to check if there are any cheap lenses as I've heard that you can get outstanding deals at fleamarkets, I'm also going to the Caribbean Market and check but I don't think I will find any there.

Edit: Does anyone know how KEH compares to eBay and other sites and which one is the best. Also does KEH ship to Australia?

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

KEH is a great company, I have purchased from them. I do not know if they ship international but I am sure that info is on their website.

Good luck hunting!

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have a Vivitar 28mm (Komine make) that is a 28/f2 in a Minolta mount. Little soft wide open, but gives you the working option of another stop if you need it, compared to 2.8.

To give you an idea of what all is out there from Vivitar, someone compiled a list...
    Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary

12. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Vivitar 24mm 2.8 is a good option. I find the one I own to be excellent. The 24mm 2.8 Minolta is also very good but harder to find and expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 100thmonk

100thmonk New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Yashica 50/2. The one that I bought with an old j4 for 10 bux...excellent, and in the classic m42 mount...
    This lens renders almost identically to my Zeus jena biotar, and the only real reason I don't shoot much with it is because the biotar is more compact..

14. I bought my Canon FDn 28/2 for about $80 but I think that it normally goes for more than that. The 28/2.8 is a nice lens and is much smaller and also cheaper.

15. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    KEH has the Canon nFD 28mm f/2.8's in EX+ condition for $59. The Minolta Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 is $56 in the same condition.

Personally, I'd add a small amount of money and either grab an f/2.0 or a 24mm.

16. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    kiron or tokina 28,24 are pretty good too

17. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi!

I agree completely with regard to the Konica AR 28/3.5 7-element version. I have this lens, and use it frequently. But stay away from later the 5-element version, with the 3-row checked rubber inlay. Though ok, it's just not as good. See here for more details:

www.buhla.de - Konica Hexanon / Hexanon AR 28 mm / F3.5

There are also some very good Vivitar-branded 28/2.8 lenses available in a number of mounts. I have a K02 variant, which is very good. But not all are good, take a look here for details:

Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary: Details
    theatre of noise: Vivitar K02 On Test

Cheers!

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Sigma 19mm EX DN?

19. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    +1 although its not quite the 50mm FOV.

I'm pretty happy with my OM Zuiko Auto-W 28mm f2.8 and find it quite usable wide open and fantastic stopped down:

P3246297 by ericarthur, on Flickr

P3246263 by ericarthur, on Flickr

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 for Four-Thirds is a fine lens. Nice and sharp with very little distortion, and it is even a pancake lens. With the adapter it's certainly not as small as our native :43: pancakes, but it still keeps the size down to a reasonable length, like about that of a kit zoom. These lenses are super cheap now.

Of course, it will require a 4/3 mount adapter with contacts. These used to be a little costly, but can now be had for as cheap as $50 at Rainbow Imaging. This will also open up a whole slew of other wonderful 4/3 glass to use on your m4/3 body with almost full compatibility except no C-AF and slower S-AF. This could make buying digital lenses cheaper, or allow you to get digital lenses which aren't yet made for :43:.

• Like Like x 1