1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap Variable ND vs Expensive

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Lobbamobba, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    So, all of us that shoot video need NDs. And if you don't, thats because you don't realize that you need it :)
    A good Variable ND Fader costs allot, my Genus Filters costs 200 dollars each. Thats why I use a large one and my magnetic adapters to move them between lenses.

But I recently bought a Canon lens to use on mirror less and needed yet again to cough up the 200 for a 77mm. At the same time I bought a 10 dollar Fotga that I heard isn't all that bad.
    I have tested cheaper NDs before and they have always been totally useless. But this time its a bit different…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjVY-K9104

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thing I notice is the fotga has a slightly purple cast too it. Not bad though for the price.

3. Natureman

Natureman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    I find that a set of regular NDs does much better than variable on my GH4.

4. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    For many I guess a correction preset can be worth the $190 :)

5. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Probably does but me personally, I cant stand the hassle of switching all the time.

6. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    I bought a cheap variable ND filter and it was s**t. It degraded image quality so badly that it was easily noticeable. I ended up taking it back and getting a normal ND filter.

7. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I use Fotga variable ND for my amateur videos. Actually I'd say it is rather good up to 80% fading. Mine starts vigneting and distoring colors when set somewhere between 90% and 100%. But I completely agree, that it is quite a good value for someone who wants to try videography.

8. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    It happened to me also, thats why a only buy expensive Genus faders. Other brands I would consider is Tiffen and Heliopan.
    But with that said, the Fotga works and its only 10 bucks, crazy value since its better than some of the 50-100 dollar faders.

9. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Agree, I went well over 90% and he little vignetting was pretty un noticeable since the subject rarely is in the top right or bottom left corner anyway, and even if it was its still usable.