Cheap Variable ND vs Expensive

Lobbamobba

Mu-43 Veteran
So, all of us that shoot video need NDs. And if you don't, thats because you don't realize that you need it :)
A good Variable ND Fader costs allot, my Genus Filters costs 200 dollars each. Thats why I use a large one and my magnetic adapters to move them between lenses.

But I recently bought a Canon lens to use on mirror less and needed yet again to cough up the 200 for a 77mm. At the same time I bought a 10 dollar Fotga that I heard isn't all that bad.
I have tested cheaper NDs before and they have always been totally useless. But this time its a bit different…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjVY-K9104

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought a cheap variable ND filter and it was s**t. It degraded image quality so badly that it was easily noticeable. I ended up taking it back and getting a normal ND filter.

Dramaturg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yevgen
I use Fotga variable ND for my amateur videos. Actually I'd say it is rather good up to 80% fading. Mine starts vigneting and distoring colors when set somewhere between 90% and 100%. But I completely agree, that it is quite a good value for someone who wants to try videography.

Lobbamobba

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought a cheap variable ND filter and it was s**t. It degraded image quality so badly that it was easily noticeable. I ended up taking it back and getting a normal ND filter.
It happened to me also, thats why a only buy expensive Genus faders. Other brands I would consider is Tiffen and Heliopan.
But with that said, the Fotga works and its only 10 bucks, crazy value since its better than some of the 50-100 dollar faders.

Lobbamobba

Mu-43 Veteran
I use Fotga variable ND for my amateur videos. Actually I'd say it is rather good up to 80% fading. Mine starts vigneting and distoring colors when set somewhere between 90% and 100%. But I completely agree, that it is quite a good value for someone who wants to try videography.
Agree, I went well over 90% and he little vignetting was pretty un noticeable since the subject rarely is in the top right or bottom left corner anyway, and even if it was its still usable.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom