Cheap Variable ND vs Expensive

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Lobbamobba, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    So, all of us that shoot video need NDs. And if you don't, thats because you don't realize that you need it :)
    A good Variable ND Fader costs allot, my Genus Filters costs 200 dollars each. Thats why I use a large one and my magnetic adapters to move them between lenses.

But I recently bought a Canon lens to use on mirror less and needed yet again to cough up the 200 for a 77mm. At the same time I bought a 10 dollar Fotga that I heard isn't all that bad.
    I have tested cheaper NDs before and they have always been totally useless. But this time its a bit different…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjVY-K9104

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thing I notice is the fotga has a slightly purple cast too it. Not bad though for the price.

3. Natureman

Natureman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    I find that a set of regular NDs does much better than variable on my GH4.

4. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    For many I guess a correction preset can be worth the $190 :)

5. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Probably does but me personally, I cant stand the hassle of switching all the time.

6. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    I bought a cheap variable ND filter and it was s**t. It degraded image quality so badly that it was easily noticeable. I ended up taking it back and getting a normal ND filter.

7. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I use Fotga variable ND for my amateur videos. Actually I'd say it is rather good up to 80% fading. Mine starts vigneting and distoring colors when set somewhere between 90% and 100%. But I completely agree, that it is quite a good value for someone who wants to try videography.

8. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    It happened to me also, thats why a only buy expensive Genus faders. Other brands I would consider is Tiffen and Heliopan.
    But with that said, the Fotga works and its only 10 bucks, crazy value since its better than some of the 50-100 dollar faders.

9. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Agree, I went well over 90% and he little vignetting was pretty un noticeable since the subject rarely is in the top right or bottom left corner anyway, and even if it was its still usable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.