Cheap reliable wireless shutter remote for GH3?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by fuzzybabybunny, Jun 7, 2013.

1. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2013
    I use a lot of Yongnuo RF-603 Tranceivers for my Canikon cameras. I'm looking for the same thing for my Panasonic GH3s. Any recommendations?

Maybe even something from Yongnuo?

I would ideally like ones with metal feet as I know from experience that the ones with plastic flash shoe feet crack and die.
  2. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    I use cowboystudio trigger set with my yongnuo 560ii and gh3. Works perfect.
    Doesn't have metal feet but it doesn't seem like it will break on me anytime soon.
  3. pod

pod Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    I've got Aputure Trigmaster Plus 2.4G and they work well have a low profile ..
    not expensive ..
  4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    RF-602s. :biggrin: Or, if you're good with a soldering iron, you can just get an extra Canon RF-603 and modify it to be your mft Tx-only unit. (You don't have to use solder. You just have to find some way to short the two pads).

You could also consider Cactus V5 (which have locking rings on their feet and on/off switches you can actually reach when the flash is on the receiver). Or, if you wanted wireless TTL on the Canon side, the YN-622c*.

The problem with the RF-603s on the mft hotshoe is that they auto-sense being on the camera or being on the flash to swap between Rx/Tx modes. And they do it with a TTL pin signal, apparently. Nikon versions of the RF-603 will have the pins in the wrong place to contact the mft hotshoe contacts. And the Canon ones are looking for a signal that's apparently on a different contact on the mft hotshoe. So you have to short together two of the signals to get the right one to turn the on-camera unit to Tx mode.

The RF-602s have separate Rx/Tx units, and don't switch. The Cactus V5s have an Rx/Tx switch on the side, so they don't run into this issue.

*YN-622c, if you have a post-2007 Canon body, and menu-commandable flash (e.g., the MkII Canon EX units or YN-568EX), will get you wireless eTTL, HSS, 2nd curtain, and full remote commanding (you can set the zoom, the power level, the FEC, the bracketing, the custom settings, etc. from the camera's flash control menu. They rock). A pair of 622c triggers is about $85.