Cheap, pocket point and shoot as a backup camera <$100

craniac

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Crane
On a whim I purchased a reconditioned Olympus sz-12 for $64 shipped. It met my criteria of being better than my cell phone, pocketable, very cheap and it has the added bonus of a 24x zoom. I had it shipped to my father-in-law's home and my wife will bring it back here to the Middle East when she visits for a wedding in a few weeks. It's not an S95, but I can throw it in my pocket or back and not be too heartbroken if something happens to it.

craniac

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Crane
My cheap Chinese cell phone is as good as an $80 Panny point and shoot, in daylight.

I ended up selling the Olympus locally because it was a little big for my pocket and buying a Panasonic FH10 for $80 at the store in this photo. It is quite small. Someone in this thread said that cell phone cameras are as good as point-and-shoots. Well, I also upgraded my cell phone to a slightly less crappy Chines phone with an 8mb camera. In the attached picture you can see a collage with the cell phone and FH10 shots right next to each other. I believe Picasa reduced the image size, but you can still make out some differences.

I originally made a collage, then realized I had combined two pictures from the Lumix. So now I am just attaching the Landvo 200 and the Panny FH10 images separately. This is an old thread, so it probably won't be read, but that's ok.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Looking at getting my wife an XZ-10, which used/refurbished is around $150. Fast lens, small, can shoot raw to iAuto.
During one of the recent Olympus 20% sales, I picked up a refurbished XZ-10 for $129.59 including shipping and CA sales tax. IMHO, this is as low end as I'd go while still expecting results that are noticeably better than what can currently be gotten with a good smart-phone camera. A used Canon S110 would be comparable - with a somewhat bigger sensor, but less fast aperture lens, but I prefer the XZ-10's ergonomics to the Canon.

wushumr2

Mu-43 Regular
I ended up selling the Olympus locally because it was a little big for my pocket and buying a Panasonic FH10 for $80 at the store in this photo. It is quite small. Someone in this thread said that cell phone cameras are as good as point-and-shoots. Well, I also upgraded my cell phone to a slightly less crappy Chines phone with an 8mb camera. In the attached picture you can see a collage with the cell phone and FH10 shots right next to each other. I believe Picasa reduced the image size, but you can still make out some differences.

I originally made a collage, then realized I had combined two pictures from the Lumix. So now I am just attaching the Landvo 200 and the Panny FH10 images separately. This is an old thread, so it probably won't be read, but that's ok.
Honestly they look identical to me. First picture (cell phone right?) looks like it has a bit more detail but is a bit noisier. Second one obviously has a bit more noise reduction applied.

Yeah, can't really see a difference. Honestly, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE for the Panasonic CM1 or something like it to come to the States. I wonder how much the QX100 would be if it was just a 28mm, or maybe a 24-35 zoom?

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a Fuji f200exr which is a few years old but holds up well to the "enthusiast compacts" of the day. You can find them used on ebay for around $50. The f200exr EASILY beats the Pentax Q. I have both and the Q is utter garbage in the image quality department. My phone runs circles around it. The XF1 looks like a deal too!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom