1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap MP3 Player/Good Quality Sound - It Is Possible

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by savvy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I meant to mention this in Amin's Headphones thread, but i thought it probably deserved a thread of it's own.

A while ago, I was looking for a decent MP3 player to take to the gym/running. I didn't want to risk my iPod or Galaxy S3 re sweat/rain/knocks etc., and I didn't want to get a case/armband for them either.

After much research I came across the Sandisk Sansa Clip+ (4GB Model Amazon UK £23/Amazon US $29).

I've had it a few months now, and what a surprise this little player is, and with the stock Sandisk firmware replaced with Rockbox, the known slight pitch issue is sorted, and you can either play it completely straight through flat, or Rockbox has an enormously powerful and configurable EQ. It's well worth getting off the stock firmware onto Rockbox - it's very easy to load.

Also, it has a microSD slot. A Sandisk Class 16GB 10 MicroSD card is very cheap if you want to expand it, c£10.

Here is a relatively old, but very detailed listening & measurement review of it :-
    NwAvGuy: Sansa Clip+ Measured

User Support Forum and Official firmwares are at
    Sansa® Clip | Sansa® Clip+ - SanDisk Forums

Rockbox is at
    Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

At this price, it is almost disposable, and I thought for those that don't know about it, I'd bring it to your attention !!

Hope this is useful.

Rgds.

Les.

2. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Virginia
    +1 for the SanDisk players. I have for, two e200's & two fuze's. All rockboxed. Great little players. You can usually find the refurbs pretty darn cheap.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I also have the e200 and the Clip+ all Rockboxed. Excellent sound in a very small package.