1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap macro tubes and a travel lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Feb 19, 2014.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I am wondering if this cheap macro tube, which is supposed to work with an Olympus Micro four thirds, will work with my GX1 and a 14mm lens:

https://dx.com/p/aluminum-alloy-macro-extension-tube-ring-for-olympus-m4-3-80648

I don't need anything pro quality, just something to play around with.

My only lens is a 14mm. Actually, I have a legacy Olympus 50mm with an adapter, but with the manual focus and an LCD that can be hard to see in daylight, I just use it for playing around. We are planning our first trip to europe, and I'm wondering if I am going to feel like I'm missing shots with only a 14mm lens, so I'm thinking about getting a 40-150mm to expand my range. Not that I need an excuse to buy a lens.

Thanks for all of your N00b support.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a set of those and they work fine. However, a 14mm lens is too short for macro tubes.

3. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Ok, good to know. I wonder if the 50 mm Olympus and passive adapter would work.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    A 50mm will work fine, but much will depend on the quality of the optics. Macro can be very demanding on a lens. A lens reverse adapter (you attach the lens backwards and the rear of the lens is at the front) can often do wonders for even a relatively average lens.

5. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
  6. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Can you reverse adapted lenses directly to the body of a m4/3 camera? Or do they need to be reversed on their appropriate adapter (in my case a Pk - mft adapter)?

I am question because I could not get anything in focus with an old 50mm f2 reversed directly to the body. But when I reversed the lens on the end of the adapter I could get subjects in focus.

Am I doing something wrong? I have read conflicting reports.

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I will likely vary depending on the lens design. The way to be sure is to do what you did. Just turn the unmounted lens around and see what you get.

Fred

8. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks Fred!