cheap lens options?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sebs_color, Mar 3, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    does anyone have any suggestions on some cheap older lenses to by say off of ebay? maybe like old OM lenses? ive been looking around, but wasn't sure if maybe someone had one they would recommend..
    thanks!

btw I have an epm2

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There are several threads with recommendations. A budget 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 is always a safe bet - say an Olympus OM, Takumar (Pentax), Canon FD, Contax Zeiss 50/1.7, Yashica ML...the list goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Old M42 or pentax screw as it is also known has a massive amount of interesting lenses to choose from and some of the former soviet lenses are quite interesting, I and many others have been quite fond of the Helios 4 its a 58mm f2 basically a Zeiss Biotar copy. Or if you can find one a Jupiter 8 is a really nice lens but its in l39 or Leica screw by another name. I picked up adaptors off Ebay for a few Euros each and the lenses cost me little as well 99p for the Helios and £10 for the Jupiter. All the makes of older cameras have interesting lenses and some quite stellar ones too, depends on what you want to do and how little you want to spend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Any of the old brand name lenses are good. I picked Olympus OM after getting several bundled together, and because they matched the camera. :)

I think Nikons tend to go for a bit more money than other brands, because there is still some interest from Nikon owners.

If you want to save a little money pick one mount so you don't have to buy a bunch of different adapters.

Also interesting to try as c-mount TV lenses. They usually don't cover the sensor completely so you get some interesting effects. You can find 25mm, 35mm, and 50mm lenses on Ebay and Amazon for cheap, often with an adapter bundled. Anything below 25mm is probably going to be unusable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Helios 44-2 or 44-3. Probably the best super-cheap options out there. I find the 44-3 body better and more comfortable.

6. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Best bang for the buck is a "fast fifty" (50mm with max. aperture of f/2 or wider, by my definition) because they were standard equipment on so many SLRs. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy an old camera with its 50mm kit lens than to buy the lens alone.

I started with Nikon lenses because that was my SLR brand. As previously noted, though, Nikon lenses tend to be more expensive because they are more easily usable on later cameras. Canon's manual focus lenses are cheaper because Canon changed its lens mount. The M42 "universal" screwmount lets you use great lenses from Pentax/Takumar, Mamiya/Sekor, and the Soviet brands. There are lots of Minolta/Rokkor lenses, and Olympus/Zuiko, and Konica/Hexanon, all with their own mounts that need their own adapters.

The best resource I've found for previewing and comparing these lenses is the Adapted Lens Sample Image Archive forum on this website.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    I recently bought a Pentax M SMC 50mm f1.7 in a PK mount which is a great little lens, pin sharp & the manual focusing is easy - just like going back to film days. I got mine from E.Bay for next to nothing by doing what I usually do and looking for things listed under wrong headings. The 50mm turned up, it looked ok and on the day the auction ended it was only up to a few ££s, so I popped a silly bid on and won it.

I also got a Carl Zeiss 135mm in M42 mount last week on a buy it now for approx half of what the other buy it nows were asking for the same type of lens. New E.Bayer with very little feedback so took a chane and it paid off. Both lenses are in great condition, especially the little Pentax, which is immaculate.