cheap laying around camera

kurt1968

Mu-43 Regular
Hi , i have four young kids ,aged 6 to 14., and 4 cats too, and lots of nice flowers and a pond.
So there always is enough oppotunity to make some pics.
The 14 year old has a canon compact , i am amazed by her inventivity ,she uses reflection of a mirror , hard to explain as i normally speak Dutch.
Anyway , nice compositions, a shame of the bad image quality.
So i was looking for a cheap camera to be standby in the cupboard to let them shoot away .
110 € : mint G1 with kitlens or E-PL1 with kitlens.
175€ : mint E-PL3 + kitlens
I might ad a fast prime later(45MM F1.8?).

One thing to concider ; the 4 girls love to take selfportraits , they now use the delay timer .
The G series have a swivel screen , so they can compose realtime.
Does a wireless remote control exist for Lumix G series?
So :which camera(IQ wise) , and is a remote available?

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
You can get a remote wireless shutter release off the big auction site, I paid a couple of quid for each of mine, I would go for a G series though you could possibly get a G3 for not much more if you look around. I say the G series as they have a movable screen that allows you to compose with the cam on a tripod etc.

sphexx

Mu-43 Regular
The G1 is more versatile and given it has to suit several people that would be a factor. The original kitlens is better tha average. The G1 is dirt cheap now for what it does.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
The G3 is better if there is less light, I would not have used my G1 when I had it above 400 asa but Ill happily use my G3's at 1600 asa, I am not sure if the 12-16 makes much of a difference to be honest if it does only slightly but the G3 is I think the best bargain in ILC cameras today.

D

Deleted member 20897

I'm more partial to Olympus gear myself, so like the prospect of the EPL3.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
There is relatively no difference in IQ between any mu43 compared withe jump from Canon compact.

Agreed. Go for whatever’s cheapest, thought it sounds like you’ll want that swivelling LCD.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
is there lots of difference in IQ between G1 /G3?
In low light there is plenty of difference in favor of the G3. Two models you should try and hunt down for a low price are the Panasonic G5 and the Olympus EPM-2. My opinion is that the G5 is the best camera for one on a budget!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
JMHO: All of the 12 mp mu43 sensors produce similar results in RAW. The earlier EP/EPL models were a bit slow to focus, but the PL3 was the first generation to have the faster AF. The G1, of course, has an EVF, DSLR ergonomics, and a swivel screen, whereas the EPL3 only has a tilt screen. On a purely subjective point, many like the OOC Olympus JPGS better than the Panasnoic. My two cents: If you shoot RAW, the G1 is probably a much better deal.

kajunito

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luis
If you are dutch, i saw yesterday in markplaats a gx1 for 100€ and a oly 45mm from same guy from 150€. I think thats a great starting point!

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Mu-43

kurt1968

Mu-43 Regular
- swivelling LCD indeed is important.
- touchscreen is cool for kids too
- G5 with kitlens is 350euros new
i don't PP ,so jpeg pulls me too Oly , but swivel+touch pulls me to G5.
But i guess G5's jpeg output can be finetuned as desired i guess?

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
- swivelling LCD indeed is important.
- touchscreen is cool for kids too
- G5 with kitlens is 350euros new
i don't PP ,so jpeg pulls me too Oly , but swivel+touch pulls me to G5.
But i guess G5's jpeg output can be finetuned as desired i guess?

You have a choice to make then - Oly definitely has much better jpegs (yes, you can fine-tune output on all Lumix bodies, but you can do it too on Olys and it will still be better in the end), but you can' t get a swivel screen with them. You could stretch for an EPL5, or a cheapo EPL3 is ok. Also you should be able to find a G5 for cheaper than that if you still prefer the swivel screen.

kurt1968

Mu-43 Regular
finally i settled for a mint G5 for 240€?it will arrive next tuesday.
Today i will pick up a konica hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 for 25 €

Latest threads

Top Bottom