Cheap, High Quality, Arca-Swiss Lever Clamp

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just received a couple of these: Universal Quick Release Plate Clamp Knob 1/4" & 3/8" Screw Hole for Arca Swiss | eBay They are A-S clamps with a locking lever feature at $13.50 each. They must be a fairly new product as I have been buying A-S hardware on eBay for some time and the only other locking lever clamp I have seen is around $50.

If you've been holding off on converting to A-S because of the cost, I think this clamp solves the problem. I also have an Acratech locking lever clamp (GP/GPS Quick Release Locking Lever Clamp) on my GP ball head. The Acratech clamp retails for $150 and the only functional or quality difference from the eBay one is that the Acratech includes a bubble level. Both are far superior to the RRS lever clamp, which has no lever lock and hence has high potential for dropping your camera in the field.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They look very good for the price, I just ordered several. Thanks for the link.
No problem. Forgot to mention: The center hole is threaded 3/8"-16 and supplied with a 1/4-20 bushing. The top of the hole is also countersunk so a flat head screw can be used to attach the clamp directly to a ball head stem. I really like these little guys.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They look very similar to these, but they also have the quick release and are cheaper.
I think if ou use a lever release clamp you will never want to go back to the screw-type. (The adjustment screw on a lever clamp is to get into the ballpark; once set it only has to be re-adjusted if your bases are not all very close to the same size. For this reason I use the same base on both my GX8s.)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These look OK I will try one.
Where do you get you plates from?
:blush: Actually, that can be a little problematical: Plates with squishy padding are not a good idea because that compliance reduces the rigidity of the whole assembly. The ideal plate would be integral to the camera frame. Plates that can twist are also a problem, because they will twist and loosen. Blue loctite and tightening with a screwdriver or a wrench can work but not 100% in my experience. So you need a bare metal plate with some kind of lip or stop that catches the front edge of the camera base. (The RRS B-9 plate looks from its picture like an example that meets these requirements. B9 for Lumix DMC-GH3 & GH4)

So ... I am using these:Desmond DP505 50mm Square QR Bi-Directional Camera Plate Arca Swiss Compatible | eBay BUT: I have the luxury of owning a small precision milling machine, so I skim enough metal off the top of the plate to leave a lip that catches the camera base and also eliminates the rubber stuff from the equation.

Absent that nice little mill I would suggest looking for plates with lips designed to suit your cameras and to remove the padding if any. For lever clamps. I'd stick to one plate manufacturer even if you have multiple camera types. The dimensions of A-S plates seem to vary enough that otherwise you may find yourself having to mess with the adjustment screw for each different camera.

Sorry the answer is so long, but the question only looks simple. :biggrin:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
:blush: Actually, that can be a little problematical: Plates with squishy padding are not a good idea because that compliance reduces the rigidity of the whole assembly. The ideal plate would be integral to the camera frame. Plates that can twist are also a problem, because they will twist and loosen. Blue loctite and tightening with a screwdriver or a wrench can work but not 100% in my experience. So you need a bare metal plate with some kind of lip or stop that catches the front edge of the camera base. (The RRS B-9 plate looks from its picture like an example that meets these requirements. B9 for Lumix DMC-GH3 & GH4)

So ... I am using these:Desmond DP505 50mm Square QR Bi-Directional Camera Plate Arca Swiss Compatible | eBay BUT: I have the luxury of owning a small precision milling machine, so I skim enough metal off the top of the plate to leave a lip that catches the camera base and also eliminates the rubber stuff from the equation.

Absent that nice little mill I would suggest looking for plates with lips designed to suit your cameras and to remove the padding if any. For lever clamps. I'd stick to one plate manufacturer even if you have multiple camera types. The dimensions of A-S plates seem to vary enough that otherwise you may find yourself having to mess with the adjustment screw for each different camera.

Sorry the answer is so long, but the question only looks simple. :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply.
I will have to look around a little more, just noticed they don't ship to Australia. I have missed so many goods deals because they do not ship down under.

Oh Well...

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
Thanks for the reply.
I will have to look around a little more, just noticed they don't ship to Australia. I have missed so many goods deals because they do not ship down under.

Oh Well...
I was replying to the above post by retiredfromlife as the original post by you led to a seller that does not ship to Australia, this one does. Jeez some people want to jump on you when you try to help someone out

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I ordered one and received it yesterday. It took a bit of fiddling to figure out how it operates but it is great. I ordered two more for my other tripod heads. Here in Wisconsin in the winter it is really hard to operate the screw with cold fingers. This will really help.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ordered one and received it yesterday. It took a bit of fiddling to figure out how it operates but it is great. I ordered two more for my other tripod heads. Here in Wisconsin in the winter it is really hard to operate the screw with cold fingers. This will really help.
Glad to hear that you're happy. The one thing to watch with all lever clamps is that once a clamp is adjusted (with the screw) the range of plate sizes that will be clamped firmly is limited. If you have multiple bodies be sure to check that all will be clamped firmly. My solution is to have the same plates on both my GX8s, so there is no size difference. If you don't have that option you'll have to shop around or get creative with a Dremel tool or a metal file.

Tony Rex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Tony Rex

Tony Rex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Tony Rex
Watch out as one is US$ while the other is AUD

Dang, people jump on you when you're just trying to help! Ha ha..

Tomtop/Gearbest/Banggood/LITB/etc can charge in USD and AUD, if you're a really tight a*** you'd select USD and pay with one of these Cards with No Overseas Transaction Fees - OzBargain Wiki ... and buy it from taobao for only ~A$12 CL-50LS 云台快装板 快装板夹座 快速拆卸板-淘宝网

But yeah, normally I'd just get it from eBay AU for the extra protection..

Latest threads

Top Bottom