Cheap Flash TTL cable for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cyrax83, Aug 5, 2016.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi, I have a Nissin i40 flash and want to use it off-camera on my E-M1 in TTL mode with a cable for some macro work.

I've been doing lots of research and whilst the Olympus FL-CB05 will 100% work, it's very expensive. I've seen a variety of cables and discussions.

The JJC cable doesn't seem to work on the E-M1. And also mixed reports about the Canon TTL flash cables working on the E-M1

Can anyone recommend a cheaper cable that will definitely work?
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, I've heard Canon cables work fine (but I have not looked for TTL specifically).

What did you read?

Also, I'm not sure why the JJC cable wouldn't work on the E-M1 only, AFAIK there's nothing unique about the E-M1 flash shoe.
  3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got an eBay generic Canon cable clone, works fine on my E-M1, unfortunately the seller no longer operates. Seems like there are plenty of Olympus CB-05 clones of similar price on eBay you could try - it's hard to say why some of them don't work though. Perhaps just a dud, perhaps the contacts are poor...
  5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I tried a couple of 3rd party TTL cables, including one specifically configured for Olympus, and neither worked on my EM1. Worked fine on my EM5. Go figure. I guess I'll have to get the expensive Olympus one and hope to heck that it works. Olympus says it will, but the 3rd party guys said theirs would work too.