1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap Flash TTL cable for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cyrax83, Aug 5, 2016.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi, I have a Nissin i40 flash and want to use it off-camera on my E-M1 in TTL mode with a cable for some macro work.

I've been doing lots of research and whilst the Olympus FL-CB05 will 100% work, it's very expensive. I've seen a variety of cables and discussions.

The JJC cable doesn't seem to work on the E-M1. And also mixed reports about the Canon TTL flash cables working on the E-M1

Can anyone recommend a cheaper cable that will definitely work?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I've heard Canon cables work fine (but I have not looked for TTL specifically).

What did you read?

Also, I'm not sure why the JJC cable wouldn't work on the E-M1 only, AFAIK there's nothing unique about the E-M1 flash shoe.

3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got an eBay generic Canon cable clone, works fine on my E-M1, unfortunately the seller no longer operates. Seems like there are plenty of Olympus CB-05 clones of similar price on eBay you could try - it's hard to say why some of them don't work though. Perhaps just a dud, perhaps the contacts are poor...

5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I tried a couple of 3rd party TTL cables, including one specifically configured for Olympus, and neither worked on my EM1. Worked fine on my EM5. Go figure. I guess I'll have to get the expensive Olympus one and hope to heck that it works. Olympus says it will, but the 3rd party guys said theirs would work too.

11/18/16 update: Yes, the expensive Olympus FL-CB05 works. TTL and flash triggering works. 3rd party cables I bought would see TTL, but flash wouldn't trigger!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016