Cheap eBay filter ruins Pan 100-300 images!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    -.eBay filter wrecks image quality.-
    Edited due to oversight on culprit.

Hey guys, I went to BH about 2 or 3 weeks ago and purchased the Pan 100-300 lens. Today I tested it for the 1st time and I'm very unhappy with its softness at 300mm. I've read reviews and m aware it softens a bit at 300mm but I can't help but feel my particular sample is too soft.....any suggestions as to wha t do?

Does Panasonic check lenses for sharpness at a repair center......this lens is just unusable at that focal length. I know you guys would like to see samples to gauge, so I'll try in a few hours to post the sample pix.

I may be within the returnable time frame for a BH return and try another sample, but I sorta don't like doing things like that.....well see!
    Cheers-

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I use to have one and it was fine, I was impressed with it so be interesting to see your pics.

Paul

3. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    check the firmware, if yours is version 1.0 then it will need updating. The main improvement was the image stabilization. Mine was the same when I first got it, but since the update, I'm very happy with it.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whoa! It just dawned on me that I check the Olympus firmware, but I ignore the Panny stuff. It I have the Panny (100-300) on my Oly cameras, can I still upgrade the Panny lens firmware through the Oly interface?

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Yes you can.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Ok, I'll try the firmware update but I doubt it would improve image sharpness at 300mm, but I'll give it a go!!!

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    It's one the really cool things about the :43:. All documented on how to on the website.

olympus support firmware

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK, please splain this to me... Do I access the Panny page for the 100-300 firmware while installed on my OM-D E-M5, or do I access the Oly page for the Panny firmware update (which makes no sense at all)?

9. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    OK, checked the firmware on the lens and it is indeed ver 1.2 (I did have to update the 12-35 & 35-100 as those were not up to date).....

Setup; dim skies and shot the sign directly across from a window approx about 60 or 70 feet away.......handheld both lenses but had IS on for the Panny and the Sigma 170-500 does not have this ability, so no IS for the Sigma (this is Minolta mount for my Sony A99 with m4/3 adapter to use on GH3.)
    (Since the Sigma's image is a bit smaller I'm estimating the focal length to be around 280mm give or take~but close enough to compare)
    ....so here are my results:

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's not soft, that's a stabilization issue. Shoot with the lens stabilized (tripod or resting on something) with IS off.

Also, do you have an Oly body? For most Oly bodies (except some of the most recent) you MUST have the body IBIS OFF when lens IS is on, or the interfere with each other. If an Oly body, shut off IBIS and keep lens IS on. Better yet, test with both IS and IBIS off, with the lens stabilized. That will check the lens, and you can begin to rule out any optics issues.

I am nearly certain this is not an optics issue, but a stabilization conflict or issue.

edit: also please include shutter speed information along with focal length details.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can't explain why the Sigma is so crisp, but that Panasonic shot is motion blur from camera shake, not "softness". Turn the IS off and do a tripod mounted shot and it should be nice and clear.

Is this on an Olympus body or a Panasonic body? What is your shutter speed?

12. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Well here's why I disagree about it being a "motion" blur issue.....when focusing manually I can clearly see the Pan lens does not sharpen the image to a crisp, as where when focusing with the Sigma I can clearly see the image sharpen up....I'm certain the lens I have is a dud!
    I will check my receipt and return it if I am within the allotted time, thus lens is my 50th or so lens purchase and I'm quite certain it's the lens,it simply won't sharpen when used manually as where other mounted lenses sharpen quite well.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do what you want, but that crop shows stabilization issues, not lens softness. You should remove the stabilization issue before making a judgement on softness, IMO.

What m43 body are you shooting?

14. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Also as a side note, I used the same handholding technique and braced myself in the window sill, even if there was a minute amount of shake the Pan IS system should have kicked in and stabilized the image to some degree......the Sigma 170-500 is a mediocre lens at best and it easily beat my particular Panny sample........I've seen some really nice images posted from the 100-300 lens and it should have beaten the Sigma.

I'll do a little more testing tomorrow as its dark out already but seeing a blurred image in the EVF tells me this Panny is a dud sample.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Are you shooting a Panny or an Oly body?

16. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Noted- I will test with IS on and off (although the very use of IS in this situation should help as I don't have it tripod mounted thus it should aid in image stabilization)

Just for kicks I'll test it against an older cheap Sigma 70-300 which should have less iq than the 170-500 and compare.....I have a Minolta/Sony adapter that allows the mounting on a m4/3 body.

Body is GH3.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for the Body info. So, the IS should be left on. Do you have the shutter speed and focal length of that crop you posted?

18. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    Use the Olympus Updater. It will download Panasonic firmware
    Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

19. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    That's not a crop, that's the full image resized to a smaller size for web viewing, that makes this the all worse for the Panny.....you're looking at the full image simply scaled down!

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you have the focal length and shutter speed data?