Cheap camera suggestion

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by benti77, Dec 16, 2014.

1. benti77

benti77 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    A friend of mine wants to buy a new camera with 200-300 € budget.
    Based on my very good experience with the olympus I would recomend oly epm-1 (240€).
    I tryed also to expand my research in order to find a camera that could offer a more "pro" experience, but for this range of prices I couldn't find much.
    I would buy the fuji xa1 for 350...
    Do you have any suggestion?

2. anfyrt

anfyrt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2014
    Russia (alas)
    I bought used e-p3 in very good condition, it was a real bargain.
    Yes, it is third gen camera, but for me, as a second camera. It is great =)

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The E-PM1 used to punch way above its weight in its day, so it is a good choice. I still use mine, more or less daily. I've seen E-P3 go for about the same around here, though - better handling, but a little slower and a bit bigger.

The Panasonic GF2 and GF3 cameras are comparable and can be had even cheaper; I think the GF2 offers better handling at even lower prices ... But I can't recommend the Panasonic the same way I can the E-PM1: The OOC JPEGs of the Olympus are quite a bit better, and for a new photographer coming from smartphones or compact cameras, that's an important asset.

EDIT: Just saw your budget was in Euros - you (or your friend, respectively) might be able to get an E-PM2 at that price, even. Now *that* would be a great catch!

M.

4. benti77

benti77 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks, unfortunately the epm-2 in Italy costs a little more, moreover the friend has no time to seek for a bargain since he wants to gift his fiance for Christmas.
    I've found in a very common mediastore the epl3 at 260€. There he can compare it with the nikon 1s1 wich sells for the same price.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Recommend the E-PL3! The S1 is no match, neither in terms of IQ nor in overall operation and handling - I own a V1 which is a fun camera to shoot with (once you wrap your hand around its peculiarities), but the S1 with its plastic body really doesn't come close even to its predecessor. It might almost square up in general image quality due to the fact the older E-PL3's sensor has its limitations, too, but this doesn't hold up when it comes to high ISO. Overall, you'll probably get more pleasing images from the E-PL3, and it's a much more reassuringly built camera, too. The only fields in which the S1 clearly beats the E-PL3 (and most other non-Nikon mirrorless cameras, for the matter) are AF and burst.

M.