Cheap batteries for Olympus pen

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mike56, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    I want to get a second battery for my new E-PM1, and one for my wife's E-PL2. The Olympus battery is about 5 times the price of the cheapos on Ebay. I'm a bit of a cheapskate so would really like to spend as little as possible on the batteries. I don't know anything about batteries, so would really appreciate anyone's comment/advice about which battery to get.
  2. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have had great luck with Wasabi batteries from Blue Nook. Used them on both my Oly bodies and Pentax. They seem to last longer than the OEM batteries (they are rated higher) and supposedly use Japan made cells.

2 batteries and a charge kit (a bit smaller than oem and vehicle 12v adapter): Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus BLS-1, PS-BLS1, E-420, E-450, E-600, E-620, PEN E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL3, E-PM1: Electronics

They also sell batteries individually.

I would advise you to be careful about the super cheap ebay versions out there. You can do a search for plenty of negative reviews on these... don't last long, die, etc.
  4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I remember the same question some time ago on this forum and there were people making grave warnings about buying a third party battery.
    But I bought an unbranded £7 one from Ebay and it has worked without any problem through many charge cycles. The seller had many positive feedbacks about the battery.
  5. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Same here. Nice charger, too, no AC power cord getting in the way.
  6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    More Power - Less $$$ part 2

This is an abbreviated version of a posting I made early this week regarding a GH2 but it is relevant to all cameras:

For over a decades I've used numerous digital cameras requiring proprietary batteries. I have always powered them with 3rd party batteries of higher amperage because they last longer and are vastly cheaper.

The OEM battery for this camera is 7.2v 1200mAh. This replacement battery has 1800mAh instead and lasts substantially longer. Without the brand label this battery is $12.90!!! For the extra $4, I'd buy the twin pack with charger kit. The charger is smaller than the OEM (2 will fit in the same outlet pair). It has also has an additional red LED to show when charged, and a 12v adapter for the car.

Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Data Cables, Power Adapters -

Acording to Member rash_powder rash_powder is offline:

Both the 1200mah and 1800mah battery will provide the same amount of AMPERAGE to the camera - the camera draws the current it wants, not what the battery gives it.

Battery capacity is measured in amphours (ah) or milliamphours (mah). 1000mah is 1ah.

What it all means is that at a 1 amp draw, a 1200mah battery will last 1.2 hours whereas the 1800 will last 1.8.
  8. Mike56

Mike56 New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your response to my query, which was my first ever post on this forum. Not quite sure what I'll buy but I'm relieved to hear that it doesn't seem necessary to pay big dollars for the Olympus battery.
    Thanks again.
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i got an official extra, and then heard about the wasabi powers... then accidently got 2 kits... so i have a big lens bag thats just full of spares... lol
    they work great, the chargers nice n small, comes with an auto charger... its fantastic... hope they make some sets for the em5 soon too!