cheap batteries for GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by testraddkr, Jul 31, 2012.

1. testraddkr

testraddkr New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
  2. testraddkr

testraddkr New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
    Well the price of course. I know 3rd party batteries can be good like the Wasabi ones (which I can't find on a site that ships to Canada anywhere :( ) but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these particular batteries.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Pretty normal pricing for a pair of third-party batteries. I have a similar 'set' for my GF-2 and E-M5, work just fine. The charger's really cheap quality, but it works...

4. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    This is the one that I just acquired recently. Accordingly to your criteria for judging shadiness, it may invariably be even more so.:biggrin:

Here is the thread in which I discuss that product's performance. I am pleased with the price as well.

I have been using batteries using Lithium-Ion technology since 2002. This type of cell has more capacity than other types and does not appear to have the memory effect of the other types. The cell configuration of those used in the product that I referenced AND that from the link you provided is known as 17650 and are extensively used in laptop and notebook computers.

Both of these products are likely made in China judging from the cost offered by these sellers. I have been using Chinese-made cells in several tactical/combat flashlights in conjunction with handgun activities such as IPSC and building clearing and they have performed marvelously.

There are obviously different versions of these cells. That battery pack depicted on the link that you provided is using two 17650 505 mAH cells in series for an aggregate rating of 1010 mAH. This is an older version that likely Panasonic is using and may have purchased it from the same factory in China.

The aftermarket one that I use is likely using two, newer, higher-capacity 750 mAH cells for a aggregate output of 1500 mAH.

The quality of these cells, just like everything else, varies. I took a small risk with the one that I acquired. So far, it has performed adequately for me. If it didn't, I would simply try another seller's offering. I'm sticking to this one supplier.

While we are on the topic of Lithium-Ion cells, it is noteworthy to state that this is the preferred power supply type of the Tesla automobile.

The greatest risk with using this type of power cell occurs during the charging cycle. Most inexpensive chargers output a preset current level and continue to do so after the cell is charged. The cell becomes overcharged and may explode. The various camera makers are aware of this and have developed a sensing circuit in the battery chargers that reduce the amount of current down to a "trickle" to avoid the unhappy happenstance of an explosion.

Likely much more than you will ever care to know; however, I hope that this helps you make a better purchase decision.

• Like Like x 2
  6. testraddkr

testraddkr New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks for the informative reply! I think I'm gonna get this, having a minitripod will be nice. Hopefully the regular shipping takes no longer than 2 weeks >_>

7. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    I got the Wasabi 2-pack with charger kit and it's been working great so far (few weeks). The charger works fine with the OEM batteries. Too bad they don't ship to Canada...

Here is the link to the one I purchased from Amazon.

8. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I always order cheap backup batteries/cables for whatever electronics I get - the only time it's bit me was a faulty AC cord for a laptop. No harm, it just didn't charge the battery.

9. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Some nice deal of batteries up there! Thanks for the links.
    So, is it ok to use the original charger to charge the after market batteries?

10. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i have no problems with those i bought :smile:

11. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The OEM GX1 battery charger functions properly with the aftermarket battery product that I referenced.

12. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks for the head up.
    I might need 2 more to back up my GX1 then. Cause batteries life seems little short compare to my old GF1.