Cheap alternative to Olympus AC-3 power adaptor

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Peejay, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Owning an EM1, I wanted a mains power adaptor for the HLD-7 grip but was unwilling to pay 85€ (95$) for the Olympus AC-3 so I did some research and stumbled upon an adaptor, sold through Amazon by X-Pro of UK, which is compatible with the old E-1, E-3, E-5, E-30, E-300. However it has the same bizarre (to me at least) connector found on the HLD-7 and the same output voltage (9 V) as that of the AC-3, only the Amps (1.7 A) may be a little lower. Most importantly the thing costs only 14£ (19€ or 22$) and works perfectly with the EM1 and should do likewise with the EM5.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Well done, I should have thought of that.

4. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Cool! I've been looking for a used one to cannibalize for the plug, this will do nicely. They now produce portable li-ion usb batteries that have switchable higher voltage outputs(9v,12v,24v), in addition to the usb out(5v). I want to combine one of these batteries, set to 9v, with the plug from one of these, to create a multi-day battery for long time lapse shooting. I had considered doing it by building my own battery pack, but was annoyed at the amount of work that would take, and never did it. Now that they are making the portable USB battery packs with high voltage output, it's just meant to be!

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If anyone sees these for sale in the US, please post a link (I can't find it on amazon.com, etc.)

Also, @OzRay@OzRay in AU would probably be interested, he's posted about hacking something together.

Thanks!
    Barry

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I almost forgot this needs the HLD-7 grip!

Any alternatives to the grip that'd work with a power adapter?

Thanks!
    Barry

9. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    You could always gut a cheap battery and connect a 9v wall wart to the carcass, to act as an ac adapter. Removal of the E-M1 battery door is simple, you just compress one side of the hinge pin with a small screw driver, and it comes right off. It's not electronically connected, so the e-m1 turns on and operates as normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I said 9v cause thats what the grip wants for input. If making a battery style adapter, you would match your wall wart to the battery voltage. I can't recall what they are, 7.6v or something.

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Probably anywhere from 6 or 7V to 9V is tolerated; the Oly battery charges to 8.66V, but will be much lower when not fully charged.
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/61608/page-6#post-714642

Barry