1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

cheap adapter Nikon F adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luke, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Hi all. I just picked up a few lenses from a local advertisement. The 2 cheapo Pentax's will work with the m42 adapter I already have. The other one I picked up was a Vivitar 1 series 70-210mm with macro ability. He pulled it off a Nikon F10 so my research tells me it is an F mount, but just a quick search on Amazon and ebay and all I could find was a nice Voigtlander for $180. I really just bought this on a whim as a possible macro toy and was hoping there existed an el-cheapo Chinese job for $10...am I missing something?

2. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I guess another problem is I don't understand the Nikon nomenclature.....at all. Is this an F-mount....a G mount.....etc. Are they all the same physicaly and just different electronic communication? One reference I saw said it'll do 99% of ALL nikon lenses and some say only for certain mounts, so I'm confused......It doesn't help that I don't know what I have.

Thanks for the link though....I like that it's for a "Rainbow Imaging" brand (I guess brand should be in quotes, too) and the list price is in the mid-20s, but the "Rainbow Imaging" store version at the same listing is $17.99

That company seems to have good products (for their price point), but the language barrier is keeping them from taking over. If they read this and want to take over the world, I'd be happy to work as a customer liason in the virtual marketplace.

I'll await more input.

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It's all F-mount. There are G-lenses (internal/electronic aperture control), but they're still F-mount as are all the older no-rangefinder Nikon lenses (Ai, Ai-S, AF-D, etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  5. moffo

moffo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 25, 2011
    Central Texas
    The nikon lenses you want to avoid are the newer lenses that have "G" in their designation -- they have no paerture ring and can only be shot wide open. Also, look for an adapter that has a level that allows you to manually open and close the diaphragm -- a very simple mount adapter will just let the diaphragm be whatever you set it at -- which means a dark image for focussing. The more sophisticated adapters allow you to focus wide open and then flip a lever or twist a dial to stop down the lens for the shot.

Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/RAINBOWIMAGIN...ic-RainbowImaging/dp/B003TROEBM/ref=pd_cp_p_2

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    OK....thanks for the info.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have the RainbowImaging one and it's worked fine for me (F mount).