cheap adapted Macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mikeetastic, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mikeetastic

mikeetastic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2011
    any recommendation for a cheap, sharp (less than $100 w/ adaptor and ebay available) Macro lens to use with my Pen? all i have is a Minolta MD 50mm f1.7, MC 35mm f2.8 and m4/3 adaptor so i would prefer the legacy lens to be on the same mount but im open to buy a separate adaptor if needed.

Thanks in advance..
  2. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    maybe use extension tubes?
  3. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I'm also looking with similar specs, but haven't seen anything on ebay that matched in the last few months. They seem to sell for $150 or more + postage. I wanted something of at least 100mm focal length to give me working distance for insects etc, and perhaps to double as a long prime tele lens.

Note that the low price limit is because of the hit-and-miss nature of eBay shopping. If I have to spend much more than $100, then I reckon I'm better off saving to buy a new lens (e.g. Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm). The Sigma is available in a four-thirds mount, meaning you can get (slow) AF and AE with a four-thirds adapter. I think Sigma have stopped making the four-thirds 105mm, but some places still have new stock.
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've had some luck with off brand manual lenses (Soligor, Sears, Sirius, etc.) that have a close focus / macro capability in that they often sell for $25 or less.

I occasionally have to take pictures of fracture surfaces at work and I've discovered that the Sirius 28mm f2.8 can actually get me in the closest.

In reality this part is 5/8" thick.
  5. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    There are plenty of such offerings in MF 50mm Macro lenses. Largest aperture is usually f3.5 or f4 and they provide 1:2 magnification (which is pretty good considering 2x cropping).
    I've tried Olympus OM 50/3.5 Macro (it's super-tiny and very good) and Canon FD (new) 50/3.5 Macro (even better, which I decided to keep) - each cost me about $60 + shipping on ebay.
    Some results: 1, 2, 3, 4
    I know there is Pentax Takumar SMC 50/4 and several Nikon 55/3.5 lenses which I haven't used but may be worth trying.
  6. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I've a Pentax smc-m 100/4 coming soon, $120 at in "bgn" condition. We'll see.
    For "cheap" I bought 52mm close-up lenses - they do the job for cheap, but you get greedy and also ask for sharp :smile:
  7. mikeetastic

mikeetastic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2011
    keep it coming guys.. any suggestion for a minolta mount macro lens, 3rd party brand will do (50mm, 100m etc) since im really new to photography and i just wanna try taking close up pictures of anything interesting..

how bout those zoom macro lens? are they any good or a fixed length is much better.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Vivitar/Komine/Kiron 55mm f2.8 and 90mm f2.8 are great options and can be found in a Minolta mount. These aren't necessarily going to be a lot cheaper than the name-brand lenses because they are quite well regarded.

One of the best zooms with a macro facility is the Tamron 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 SP. These have an adaptall mount so the one lens can be fitted to Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, etc depending on which adaptall mount/s you have. These are also well regarded and also won't be particularly cheap compared with other third-party lenses.
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  10. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
  11. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    One option would be to watch for a Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing converter which could be combined with your 50mm. I would expect the price to be around $50 and the results aren't bad close up.
  12. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    Macro tubes for m43

What about macro tubes for m43 (you can fond them on eBay easily)? Just put an adapter and you can use them with any legacy lenses!
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    An Olympus 50/1.8 and an extension tube will probably set you back $50 for the set. Set of good closeup lenses a little less probably. FWIW I use a Panasonic ZS3 point and shoot for my Macros.
  14. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A more unusual way that doesn't get mentioned much (I think Rafael ponted to that?): a cheap M39 to m4/3 adapter and an older enlarging lens can be a very cheap and surprisingly sharp macro solution. Many of these lenses have M39 threads and go for a few $$ on ebay.