Cheap 400mm: 70-210 + 2x TC or new lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Klorenzo, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi, I'd like to try a 400mm just for fun for shooting bird and other animals, spending nothing, something like a Soligor, Panagor, etc. with the first good offer on ebay. I've looked at the image threads on this site and I'm ok with the IQ of the cheap ones:

https://www.google.it/?q=site:https://www.mu-43.com+adapted+400mm

I already have a Tamron 70-210/3.5 19AH and I'm wondering if it could be better to just buy a 2x TC for the same price. This means f8 but I expect to have to stop down a little the prime lenses too.
    But with the TC I'm not stopping down the lens and at f4 the zoom is not bad but not great either, it starts to shine from 5.6 on.

Pro TC:
    - zoom lens
    - TC is smaller, more versatile
    - no extra adapter

Pro 400mm lens:
    - faster lens

But I have no idea how the image quality could be. It is a good zoom lens with TC against a cheap prime lens. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Beautiful lens and beautiful captures. Would be perfect but the problem is that it is over my budget. I'm simply not sure how much I'm going to use a lens like this.
    And to find one at a good price could take months even including others from Nikon, Kilfitt, Leica, Sigma(?), etc. Let's say that my ideal budget is 50$ :)

Chrome, thanks but I'm looking for a 400mm.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2x TC are a big compromise, even if you spend a ton on a modern one. Old and cheap, 2x TC are essentially junk. I wouldn't waste your money.

With $50, you'd be lucky to get a no-name mirror lens. I think you are being a bit optimistic with your budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    For that budget I can't help you.........not even sure you could get a 2x TC for that price and you would still need a 200mm lens. Problem is if you don't get a fast 200mm you are going to be pushing ƒ8 or higher when using a 2x TC, so going to run into light problems and shutter speed problems, and blurring.

7. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Colorado
    I have used an old Vivitar 400mm f5.6. Not bad for fairly close subjects but really hard to use. The tamron adaptall sp 300mm f5.6 is much better and easier to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mu-43 mobile app

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    some of the old 400mm non-telephoto lenses aren't bad like the cheap Soligors - you'll get some purple fringing and need to boost the contrast, but they can produce usable pictures under the right conditions. If you're not expecting miracles they might be worth a play - easily available under $50.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That doesn't sound like a glowing review. I think much of the same could be said for cropping a sharp 200mm lens to 4MP and calling it a day.

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The better ones will give you more pixels to play with - sharpness with the old 400mm long toms doesn't tend to be to bad - they won't resolve as well as a modern native M43, but they're generally not bad - it's a lack of contrast that's the main issue and that can be fixed. Purple fringing along high contrast borders is common even among the best legacy long lens but again can usually be fixed.

If you can find an example that's got clean and non-fogged elements, stop them down from 6.3 to f8, hold them steady etc. they can be surprisingly good.

There are loads of them available from various Japanese manufacturers, frequently re-badged - Vivitar, Spiratone, Optomax, Tamron etc.