1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cheap 28mm viewfinder on Ebay

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by chipbutty, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I bought one of these, they are all the same (very wide) FoV and then are masked down to the one you select in the order. The resulting visible frame was so small (think of a disposable camera viewfinder, then make it smaller) that I'm not sure I'll use it now.

3. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks. It doesn't sound very promising!

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I have the Olympus VF-1 optical bright line finder ($80-90 at Amazon). The bright line defines the field of view for a 17mm lens. However, I found the area outside the bright line almost exactly covers the view of my 14mm F2.5--about 90%. The only gotcha is the barrel distortion is pretty strong at frame's edge but it's a bright and sharp finder. I prefer it over my EVF if I'm using the 14 or 17mm primes.

If you don't mind spilling a couple benjamins, the Voigtlander 28mm covers the same field of view as the 14mm 2.5. It bares an uncanny resemblance to the Panasonic DMW-VF1 External Optical Viewfinder, albeit at a higher price:

Amazon.com: Voigtlander Metal Brightline Viewfinder for 28mm - Black: Camera & Photo

5. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks. The Olympus has gone pretty cheaply here, I saw one go for £25. The Voigtlander looks really nice.

Anyway I've ordered the cheapo EBay viewfinder. No doubt I'll be reporting back in this thread on how bad it is :biggrin:

A couple of links I found on the cheap VF I bought made by Boris Gorins.

http://www.f-stopeight.com/frugal-photographer/the-31-28mm-viewfinder/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...r-with-your-camera-can-improve-your-photograp

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Not ideal but it could help framing shots when using my old DSLR in IR mode (it has no live view, but has respectable IR response) so might just be worth the vast expense. :biggrin:

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Not had much chance to use it yet but it did come in handy the other day when I was at the beach. Don't think I'll take a camera to the beach again. Sand and cameras aren't a good mix.

i-5BN7pXm-L.

i-Bv4HZFL-L.

Attached Files: