Cheap 19mm Sigma for Aussies

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by pixelvandal, Oct 25, 2013.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    was looking for a cheap prime to start with, and since these sold out in the $199 deal for 2 a while ago.....
    i stumbled upon this

http://www.camerasky.com.au/sigma-19mm-f2-8-ex-dn-m3-4-mount-lens.html

$100 + 34 delivery in australia. have bought from them before and received items promptly.

thought it might be handy for anyone else in australia who might be looking for one, no idea on cost of shipping elsewhere in the world :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. They actually seem to have a bunch of good Micro 4/3 deals

E-M5 body only $663

E-M5 + 12-50mm $844

E-PL3 + 14-42mm $248

GH3 $995

GF6 Twin lens $566

GX1 body only $214

M Zuiko 17mm f2.8 $103

3. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Thanks I will certainly be looking into this.
    Cheers
    Brisvegas

4. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Actually I bought one today. Delivery in 4-7 days so I guess I will see what it is like. I am really enjoying buying all these lenses as of late. I am away on holidays in Coffs Harbour and I bought the 45 mm only with me but it is most of the time not wide enough for general shots. I think the sigma 19mm will fit the bill quite nicely. Also looking to get the 60mm Olympus when I get paid next. My wife said she really wants to do do macro so I am hoping this is the better way to go. With the 45mm and 60mm Olympus on my GH3 it works out cheaper still cheaper then just buying the Panasonic 35-100mm. I don't think I am losing out at the moment with the I.O.S. as my pictures are still shots and easily hand holdable.
    Is this the best way to look at it? Or am I missing something?

5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Let us know how your purchase goes, shipping time etc, these dropship sellers pop up all over the place in OZ, its hard to know who to trust, often their shipping charges remind me of what used to go on in Ebay, $1.00 items with shipping costs of 100 bucks LOL.

Edit: cannot open the site! Anyone else find this? I tried 2 browsers. Looking up the Domain details, the site is owned by HANG MAN KONG. Sorry couldnt help giggling and remembering mario brothers on nintendo!

6. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    I had trouble opening it on my phone and tablet, but fine on my home PC using chrome.
    After purchase got an emailing saying I will receive a confirmation email once it ships, and I didn't get this for a few days and became concerned, but got one yesterday, complete with tracking number etc. Should be here early next week!

7. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Mine has not arrived yet, but it was only a few days ago. I don't think i Have anything to worry about just yet.
    I just bought a photo tent kit from Hypop. Has anyone used this online store ?

8. pixelvandal

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    arrived this morning, works perfect, have been at work so havent played with it too much, but so far very happy with it :)

9. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Just got an email saying it has left and should be on its way. It is showing that it is coming from Overseas. This is the first message from them in a week since buying it so clearly the 4-7 days delivery is not going to happen. I most likely could have bought this myself from OS and saved more $$ on postage and the initial price. I wonder how I will go on warranty if there is a problem considering this is an Internet business in Australia?

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    This is a question that should be asked everytime we look to purchase from these dropship websites. If they are registered in Australia (and you need a business registration here in order to get a .com.au website) then they fall under ACCC guidelines and have to offer statutory warranty.
    First thing I do when thinking about buying from a business like this is check if they are GST registered, and if their business registration is legit or not. Where the website is hosted also tells you a lot, many of them are running on cheap US servers which is why they are often slow to load.
    Looking at this one I find the following info:

Entity name: KONG, HANG MAN
    ABN status: Active from 15 Aug 2012
    Entity type: Individual/Sole Trader
    Goods & Services Tax (GST): Not currently registered for GST
    Main business location: VIC 3012

This tells me the guy has been doing this for only a year, and either his gross turnover is really low (GST registration is required when turnover exceeds $75,000.00) or he is dodging the whole GST thing. If your turnover is only 70K in this business, then you are lucky to be making 7-10 grand as margins for dropshippers are small. So likely its a side business and the guy works full time.

They show only paypal as payment method, so they dont have a local business account nor a merchant account with eftpos terminal. To me it says risk, its basically the same as buying from a Hong Kong Ebay seller, only you are paying a lot more for shipping in some cases, $74.00 for a camera or cam body is pretty steep.

11. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Well the lens arrived today via TNT global . The lense is new in box and original packaging and definitely shipped from Hong Kong. I took some quick pictures with it and I can see it is a step up from the standard 14-42mm lens you get. It was well worth the money I paid for it. I would do it all again. Hopefully tomorrow I am off to get an Olympus 60mm from the city for $499. They only have 2 left. Then last thing to save for is the fl360l flash and my collection is complete. Well for the time being anyway.
    Cheers

12. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thats good to know, I noticed they show a lot of lenses out of stock right now and prices have all gone up too, pegged against the USD would be the most likely scenario.

13. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Having been using the lense as of late as a video lense it is not good in Automatic model as it continually tries to refocus. I dont think I could recommend this lense for Video work. Having said that in manual mode it is great. It certainly is a step up from the standard Lumix 14-42mm lense. I am happy with the purchase, but I think I will sell this along with the higher quality Lumix 14-45mm lebnse and get a 12-35mm Lumix lense. Oh no more $$$ on this camera fetish!