1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Charting the Olympus PEN, anyone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BansheeVulture, May 11, 2014.

1. BansheeVulture

BansheeVulture New to Mu-43

May 10, 2014
    When looking at the digital Olympus PEN family from point of view tests and reviews, besides all being "range finder-esque" there are some that are said to be smaller and more "family" or novice oriented than others.
    Trying to read up on all models and the somewhat similar names that resembles one another, E-PL5, E-P5, E-PM2, etc, it isn't that obvious which separates which model from one another...
    Can you group them after size and target group by name and which belongs to which in that case?

Is there someone who can give a clear overview of the different model lines and what category of consumer they each try to aim for, or know of some chart of them, Excel with characteristics or something?

Right now when I look at site for finding the best price of Olympus cameras; I get no less than 43 Olympus Pen camera packages listed with different lenses, from the first PEN E-P1 from 2009.
    To be short and to the point; there is a jungle out there... :confused:

Any clarity some one can give is appreciated, or I need to do an Excel-exercise myself to get my head around the different models.
    Thanks!

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    E-Pn = Full strength Pens. They have the most comprehensive feature set and controls and are the most expensive

E-PLn = Pen Lites. Smaller and cheaper. They have articulating screens but fewer controls than the full Pens.

E-PMn = Pen Minis. Smaller again and with fixed screens. Cheaperst.

E-P5, E-PL5 & E-PM2 all have the 16Mp sensor so give essentially the same IQ. They are all current models (although probably soon to be replaced)

All the rest are older models and have the older 12Mp sensor. The IQ will not be as good as the current models.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    EPM = Pen Mini
    EPL = Pen Light
    EP = Top of the range

The current generation includes:

EPM2
    EPL5
    EP5

All of the current gen cameras share, more or less, the same sensor and image quality. The differences between the three come down to features and size.

EPM2

• Smallest of the three
    • Cheapest of the three

EPL5

• Mid-priced
    • Mid-sized
    • Has tilting screen (tilts up and down, and forward)
    • Has mode dial (PASM)

EP5

• Has tilting screen
    • Has three external dials (PASM, plus two customizable)
    • Has Wi-Fi image transfer
    • Has Wi-Fi viewfinder, exposure, and shutter control
    • Max shutter speed of 8000 (other two max at 4000)
    • 5-axis image stabilization (other two have 2-axis)
    • Bigger, better screen (tilts up and down)
    • Focus peaking
    • Metal construction (generally nicer build materials)

There are other lesser differences between them, but that's the gist. I have an EP5 and an EPM2. Stabilization, tilting screen, and external dials definitely make shooting with the EP5 much nicer, but image quality is essentially the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Thanks for the post. Just recently registered since I'm getting into the m4/3 world.

And responses above truly helped. Will be diving into the pm2 and if I love it, replace my full frame body

5. BansheeVulture

BansheeVulture New to Mu-43

May 10, 2014
    Thank you Paul and Mark, now it all makes more sense. :thumbup:

/Henrik