Charlecote Park on a Nice Autumn Day (and why I'm over the moon with the E-M1iii)

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Now, I've been to Alberta (Edmonton) and really liked it. My nephew lives there now and he's got some great shots of Edmonton's architecture on his Flickr feed:

I live in Red Deer which is about 150km south of Edmonton, about half-way between Calgary and Edmonton. If you venture over this way again we should try and meet up for a photographic trip out.

I had a quick look at your nephew's Flickr and there are some really nice images on there, thanks for sharing that with us.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Fantastic pictures Paul! I finally joined the NT at the start of this year, which has not proved to be great value...
I'm pretty cross overall with how the NT is working today. They have made a complete hash of Covid by firstly setting visitor numbers too low and then using a simple first-come, first-served Eventbrite system to handle bookings. The result is that many members, esp the less computer savvy (older!) ones, repeatedly can't get tickets to visit the locations. There is no record of previous bookings so it favours those who are prepared to game the system.

Then there is the whole latest leadership thinking that considers the NT's job is mainly to protect the outdoors and even wants to sell off the stately homes or turn them into dumbed-down history theme parks. OTOH, I do support their desire to properly set the colonial context of much of the heritage - esp its links to slavery and various exploitative acts that were committed during Britain's past.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
We're going way off topic here, but I'm really anti NT as it stands.

We cycled to one place a while back, where the grounds were open to the public.
After getting soaked walking around, we asked politely if we could just go into the cafe attached to the house for a drink or hot soup.
The "lady" on the gate told us that she wouldn't let us in without paying for the house entrance and would even charge us more because we hadn't paid for the car park!
We then got into a bit of a "discussion" as she told us to join.
She tried to tell us every person in the UK was within 15 miles or so of many NT properties.
Apart from the coastline, we have but one in the county, which is 30 miles away.

Anyway, we cycle off to the nearest cafe and had a lovely roast dinner instead.

I see on the BBC website this morning that there is another argument regarding the NT and its direction.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
We're going way off topic here, but I'm really anti NT as it stands.

We cycled to one place a while back, where the grounds were open to the public.
After getting soaked walking around, we asked politely if we could just go into the cafe attached to the house for a drink or hot soup.
The "lady" on the gate told us that she wouldn't let us in without paying for the house entrance and would even charge us more because we hadn't paid for the car park!
We then got into a bit of a "discussion" as she told us to join.
She tried to tell us every person in the UK was within 15 miles or so of many NT properties.
Apart from the coastline, we have but one in the county, which is 30 miles away.

Anyway, we cycle off to the nearest cafe and had a lovely roast dinner instead.

I see on the BBC website this morning that there is another argument regarding the NT and its direction.
The problem is that the NT's new (2018) Director General, Hilary McGrady, has some radical views on what the NT should be. She thinks that the NT should be about appealing to a much broader audience than it has in the past. In particular, she wants to open up more outdoor space for the wider population to enjoy. I'd agree with her on that since Britain in increasingly fenced off for the benefit of a small group of rich landowners. But she seems at the same time to want to ditch the NT's historical role in curating our architectural heritage and I'm very concerned about that. Even if she doesn't want to close it down or sell it off, it seems that making it "accessible" (from an intellectual perspective) is her goal - but in reality that will just mean dumbing it down and turning it into a Disney-esque experience. If you want to see the end result of dumbing down a historical site, go along to Warwick Castle which is owned by Merlin Entertainments. Not only will your eyes water at the entry price, but you'll be wincing at the awful "re-enactments" etc that go in inside and the tawdry displays and exhibits on show. Yeuk!

Here's an interesting article if you want to read more:

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/comment/national-trust-restructuring-plan-job-cuts

The problem is that the NT's new (2018) Director General, Hilary McGrady, has some radical views on what the NT should be. She thinks that the NT should be about appealing to a much broader audience than it has in the past. In particular, she wants to open up more outdoor space for the wider population to enjoy. I'd agree with her on that since Britain in increasingly fenced off for the benefit of a small group of rich landowners. But she seems at the same time to want to ditch the NT's historical role in curating our architectural heritage and I'm very concerned about that. Even if she doesn't want to close it down or sell it off, it seems that making it "accessible" (from an intellectual perspective) is her goal - but in reality that will just mean dumbing it down and turning it into a Disney-esque experience. If you want to see the end result of dumbing down a historical site, go along to Warwick Castle which is owned by Merlin Entertainments. Not only will your eyes water at the entry price, but you'll be wincing at the awful "re-enactments" etc that go in inside and the tawdry displays and exhibits on show. Yeuk!

Here's an interesting article if you want to read more:

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/comment/national-trust-restructuring-plan-job-cuts
I couldn't agree more (and pdk42's comments about the booking system are spot on, you try getting a decent slot at somewhere like Cliveden...). They will he haemorraging members with their booking system and overly woke stance on most things. They've already laid off loads of staff, losing more membership is the last thing they need. Their focus on slavery is worthy in some ways, but seems to only focus on colonial slavery (Lets face it most of the stately homes were built on the backs of fiefdom/indentured staff in the UK, not on plantations around the world). If you want dumbed down, come down to Avebury Manor (NT) ..

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I agree with both of the above posts and it's possibly yet another example of this country's obsession with dumbing down.
One example for me has been BBC2's new programme "Between the covers" that purports to highlight the best books to read.
Whilst I didn't particularly like it's forerunner from a few years back, hosted by the awful Anne Robinson, this new version hosted by Sara Cox is
downright dreadful.
"Sara Cox hosts the irreverent, entertaining show where books spark the banter" is the official line from the BEEB.
Pap is the term I'd use. :frown:
I'm not into "highbrow" or "posh" but why has everything got to be brought down to the lowest level?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I agree with both of the above posts and it's possibly yet another example of this country's obsession with dumbing down.
One example for me has been BBC2's new programme "Between the covers" that purports to highlight the best books to read.
Whilst I didn't particularly like it's forerunner from a few years back, hosted by the awful Anne Robinson, this new version hosted by Sara Cox is
downright dreadful.
"Sara Cox hosts the irreverent, entertaining show where books spark the banter" is the official line from the BEEB.
Pap is the term I'd use. :frown:
I'm not into "highbrow" or "posh" but why has everything got to be brought down to the lowest level?
I've not seen that programme (in fact, I've almost given up watching TV). Maybe I should take a look. But my expectations won't be high.

I recall some years back watching, purely by chance, two programmes back-to-back. One was Neil Armstrong's last interview, made by Alex Malley in Australia; the other was a documentary about the 747 ("Engineering Giants") and it revolved around a refurbishment project of one at Cardiff.

The Neil Armstrong interview was amazing. Armstrong is such a gentleman - modest and yet hugely able. And the interviewer did a superb job. The whole thing is a pleasure to watch. I particularly remember Armstrong being questioned about test flying. Alex Malley tried to "big up" the job - but Armstrong replied coolly and calmly, describing how the job of the test pilot is to work with the engineers to probe areas of the aircraft's design that need to be verified in practice and how it's a logical and methodical process - "problem solving" as he called it. He never tried to play the hero or take undue credit. Truly inspirational. I could draw conclusions to certain politicians as a contrast here, but I won't !

By contrast, the 747 documentary is just awful. A terrible attempt to sensationalise the mundane and big-up the role of the technicians working on it. Full of annoying music, unnecessary superlatives, incredulous exclamations, and endless unnecessary emphasis (TWELVE THOUSAND separate jobs, SIX MILLION components etc). It just smacks of "media types" trying to make it "accessible". At one point (no doubt egged on by the programme's producers), one of the technicians (who as best as I can see, was doing an oil change on one of the engines), said "I'm so proud to go home to my children and tell them I've been working on a jumbo jet". Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish the job, but the whole thing was so badly done. It's a pity because there is some good information in there, if you can get past the dross.

Anyhow - links if you want to watch yourself.

Neil Armstrong:

747:

Last edited:
Real Name
Rob
I've not really been following the ongoing travails of the NT, so these posts are interesting to me (as a new member).
But I do remember, I had a friend who worked for them (paid job) probably 20 years ago, who said it was almost like two separate factions, the "big house" people, and the "countryside" people, and they rarely seemed to agree on much...

evilnim

Mu-43 Veteran
Came to this thread late, but these are tremendous photos. Really like Charlecote - it’s a beautiful place. Amazed how few people are in your shots, even with the reduced number of visitors - have been a few times in the last month but never managed without other blasted humans in shot!
The Midlands really does have some picturesque NT sites to visit - Hanbury Hall and Packham House are another of my kids favourites.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom