Charlecote Park on a Nice Autumn Day (and why I'm over the moon with the E-M1iii)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Charlecote Park is a National Trust property in Warwickshire and features a beautiful hall dating back to the 16th century set in about 200 acres of parkland. The hall is closed due to Covid but the parkland is still open and the weather yesterday (Nov 3rd 2020) was perfect for a visit, especially as the sun went down. I took my EM1.3 with the 12-100 and the PL 8-18. I came away with a very pleasing set of images that I'm absolutely over the moon with in terms of image quality. After running a Nikon Z7 for a few months, my return to Olympus feels like coming home. The system's features and portability definitely out-gun the Nikon and although the Nikon's IQ is technically better, the Olympus is still way more than necessary to deliver stunning images that present perfectly on on-line channels and would print large with no issues at all. So, all-in-all I'm feeling very positive about the EM1.3.

Having also run an EM1.2 before, I think there are some subtle but worthwhile IQ improvements that it brings - mainly in terms of slightly better noise handling in shadows. None of these shots use HHHR - I thought I'd use it a lot, but it doesn't add much in terms of additional resolution and whilst it definitely does improve shadow noise, and indeed noise at higher ISO, I don't find it necessary for landscape shooting at base ISO. If the DR of the scene gets too wide, it's better to bracket anyhow - there are a few examples of that below. Bracketing with the EM1.3 (and the EM1.2) and using the electronic shutter at 60fps is about the best bracketing I've seen on any "serious" camera in terms of speed. Sub-second for 5 images.

Anyhow - to the images...

This scene was strongly backlit so I shot a stack of 5 images bracketed at -2, -1, 0, +1, +2. Stacked in LR and then tweaked in Nik to give it a bit of a "painterly" look. Shot with the 12-100 at 35mm. This lens just has to be about the best landscape lens available in any system. The combination of image quality, sync IS, range, size/weight, and weather sealing makes it an almost "one lens to rule them all" choice. As I mentioned on another post, it was my disappointment with the apparently equivalent Nikon 24-200 f4-f6.3 that eventually led me to drop the Nikon. The 12-100 just feels and performs so much better.
50562897438_fcace9727b_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Autumn Light by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

This is with the PL 8-18 at 8mm. A pretty simple one-shot capture. Light touch PP in LR - mainly keystone correction and some level adjustments.
50564055967_36f9defd28_o.jpg

Last Llight on Charlecote Hall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Walking back to the car there was some light rain which gave this beautiful rainbow and I hurried over to get it framing the church. Again with the 12-100 (at 12mm) but in my rush to not miss the bow, I shot it wide open - but it mattered not because the 12-100 (like all the Pro lenses) is very nearly as sharp wide open as stopped down! For PP, I used LR for keystone correction and some level tweaks and then Nik to do a subtle tone shift to accentuate the foliage.
50564056217_6b36e0726c_o.jpg

Day's End by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

This is another 5-shot bracket and stack. Again with the 12-100 at 12mm. All PP was in LR - stack, crop and level tweak.

Charlecote Hall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Another pretty straightforward shot. Again with the 12-100, this time at 34mm. Light-touch LR work - keystone correction, crop, shadow lift.
50565882702_cb51f84403_o.jpg

Charlecote Church by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The light on the hall in this shot was just lovely so the photographer's job was pretty simple - point and shoot. The deer in the foreground give a nice context and the shadows add some nice depth. 12-100 at 38mm. Light-touch PP in LR.
50565882807_c8410b993b_o.jpg

Again, beautiful light. 12-100 at 34mm. Simple PP. The sharpness on this is quite stunning if you go pixel peeking.
50565744646_83939eb270_o.jpg

Final shot - this time with the PL 8-18 at 8mm. I find the PL gives lovely colours and contrast and this is a good example. Lovely sharp lens. Single capture with mild tweaking in LR.]
50565882992_bacd0a06b3_o.jpg

Charlecote Hall and the River Avon by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
Beautiful images Paul and as you say, what wonderful light.
I don't know about being over the moon with them though.........
I'd be over the sun! :laugh:

Just one query:
are you sure that second shot is actually at 8mm?
It doesn't look that wide to me.

Real Name
Deryck
@pdk42 I know it probably sounds crazy to you, but it was your landscapes posted here in 2013/2014 that convinced me to buy into mu43 (that and a Jessops sale).

I don't have the time, inclination or capability to get anywhere close to your images, but I can still enjoy yours.

When you announced you were leaving, I felt sad, as I knew I would miss seeing images like these, of places that I know and have visited often.
I, for one am over the moon that you are back in the fold again.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@pdk42 I know it probably sounds crazy to you, but it was your landscapes posted here in 2013/2014 that convinced me to buy into mu43 (that and a Jessops sale).

I don't have the time, inclination or capability to get anywhere close to your images, but I can still enjoy yours.

When you announced you were leaving, I felt sad, as I knew I would miss seeing images like these, of places that I know and have visited often.
I, for one am over the moon that you are back in the fold again.
Thanks - I hadn't realised I'd convinced anyone to move to m43 - l hope you've been happy using it! :)

It's too easy to go chasing more and more IQ - at some point you have to say "that's good enough". I can see that larger formats make sense for some situations though - low light and shallow DOF are clearly two, but for landscape l think m43 is plenty good enough in IQ terms but wins out in terms of portability, lens range, camera features, and image stabilisation.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Really great images. What do you mean when you say "keystone corrections" in LR?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Really great images. What do you mean when you say "keystone corrections" in LR?
If you tilt the camera up (or down), it causes vertical lines to converge (i.e. to not appear parallel). In the old days you'd need a shift lens to correct it at capture time, but with digital you can correct it in software - some call it keystone correction, a reference I believe to the old Keystone Cops movies.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
If you tilt the camera up (or down), it causes vertical lines to converge (i.e. to not appear parallel). In the old days you'd need a shift lens to correct it at capture time, but with digital you can correct it in software - some call it keystone correction, a reference I believe to the old Keystone Cops movies.
...or perhaps the keystone in an arched bridge?

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oh I see. I just call it vertical adjustment but keystone sounds better.
Thanks,

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Paul, do you recall off hand, which NIK filters you used on the first image? They are absolutely perfect for that image.
James,

It was two stacked filters in Color Efex:

Then some post-Nik tweaks in LR !

- Whites +60
- Blacks -25
- Post crop vignette -25

Hope that helps!

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Paul, I've recently downloaded the Nik suite and this has helped me in my learning process. Beautiful set of pictures, I wish we had some places like that in Alberta but we'll have to contend with open prairie, badlands and a few mountains LOL. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Thanks Paul, I've recently downloaded the Nik suite and this has helped me in my learning process. Beautiful set of pictures, I wish we had some places like that in Alberta but we'll have to contend with open prairie, badlands and a few mountains LOL. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:.
Now, I've been to Alberta (Edmonton) and really liked it. My nephew lives there now and he's got some great shots of Edmonton's architecture on his Flickr feed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulbuckingham

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom