1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Charging batteries while on vacation

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wjiang, Oct 1, 2013.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an E-M5 and one battery. While I haven't had any issues with running out of power during day trips yet, I figure that it might happen on vacation, when I'm out at night as well as the day. I've had that happen before, but that was with a camera that took AAs.

So the dilemma I have is, if I buy another battery, when will I have time to charge it if I'm out at night? I'm hardly going to get up in the middle of the night to swap the battery on the charger. I guess if the second battery still has charge I can use what's left the next day without charging it, but being able to charge 1 while using up 2 per day is still a net negative...

What do the folks here do in these situations?

2. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    During travel, I carry at least four or five OM-D NiCad batteries along with dual chargers, so that way I'll have enough battery power to support E-M5 camera. Charge two batteries during day and night, separately, so you either will be gone from the hotel during day and/or won't have to wake up in the middle of night or dwell yourself reminding to change the NiCad batteries but you didn't do it because you slept well without becoming insomnia.

3. wjiang

Hmm dual charger seems to be the key... the official Olympus Li-Ion batteries and chargers are pretty expensive though.

I'm a bit weary of NiCad and NiMH batteries though after my previous experience with them... any recommendations for third party Li-Ion solutions which are still fully compatible with the standard Olympus batteries/chargers?

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Your second battery needn't be Olympus, only the same OEM specifications or better(greater than Oly's 1220 mAh). I'm a US Panny user so can't recommend specific battery for you. Here is a link to start your search. For less than half the cost you can get a multi-source charger kit with one or more batteries. Obviously there are many providers on the web and possibly even a bricks and mortar in Christchurch.

Personally I carry 4 batteries and 2 chargers when I travel. My off-brand charger is actually smaller, and charges faster than the original. I always carry a spare battery and SD card rubber banded to it in my pocket, whenever I'm out with the camera. Either could fail when that once-in-a lifetime shot occurs...like Capt. Sully on the Hudson River. Actually my daughter captured that one!

Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...N1+Camera+Battery+++Charger++1600mAh&_sacat=0

• Like Like x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would just buy two extra batteries. One in the camera, one spare in my bag, and one on the charger. Space and time are usually at a premium when I travel, and this solves both issues for the cost of two batteries. For my needs, this is a cost that solves a problem, so I do not consider it a "net negative".

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  6. wjiang

Thanks for that tip Replytoken! For some reason I just couldn't get my head around the logistics of juggling batteries before :p I think I might just go with your approach, and follow Crdome's suggestion with getting some third party batteries.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Always have a spare battery! I like the idea of a spare SD - never thought I'd fill up a 32 GB card ... I was wrong. I'm talking about spares ... I had a 2nd SD card but it broke so I really needed a spare. Spare means that extra you think you never will need until you really need it.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Me too. 4 batteries (with number stickers) and 2 chargers.

I also find that my off-brand charger, charges quicker. More importantly, its 'red' light turns 'green' when fully charged. The light simply goes off with the Olympus charger which is often just a sign of a bad connection.

9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Same here for my E-P3, after my little 'incident' at Art Prize last year (ie: second battery died on my E-P3, and had no more batteries right before the Lantern launch that I quickly pulled out my Pentax K10D DSLR to get the shots right when they launched)

I know carry no less than 4 batteries when I'm doing full day shoots around the city (ie: between 10am up to midnight), I usually don't burn thru more than 2 and a half batteries during a time frame like that even with the camera always on, but I like to have a backup of everything (backup batteries, back up SD Cards, back up lens, etc).

If there was the ability to charge the camera via USB I could always utilize the 3800mAh portable battery I usually have on me (which I mainly use to power my phone or tablet in a pinch).

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You are quite welcome. FYI, there is a somewhat long thread on third party batteries and chargers that you should read before deciding on what brand you are going to purchase. It is not as plug-and-play as we would like it to be unless you stick exclusively to one brand. Have a read.

--Ken