1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Charge battery whilst in G9 using a Powerbank

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PAC, Feb 9, 2018.

1. PAC

PAC New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2017
    Newbury. Berkshire, UK
    Hi

Has anyone been able to charge the battery in their G9 whilst it is in the camera using a Powerbank?

My Powerbank, is a 2nd Gen Astro E1 model ANKER A1211 Capacity 5200mAh Output 5v 2A

It WILL charge the battery when the Powerbank is connected to the supplied DMW-BTC13 charger, but not direct to the G9

The G9 charges the battery fine if it is connected to a PC usb port

Panasonic say

“In regards to your query, I would like to advise that we cannot guaranty the compatibility of the camera with a Powerbank. Because this was not tested and the only options shown are with the charger or the PC”

Thanks

2. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Plugging the powerbank into the camera does more than charge the battery as the camera can be powered by it. I am guessing the camera presents a significantly less stable load than a simple charging circuit, and that some power banks are uncomfortable with it.

At least that is the behavior I observed here with my G85 when running it from a powerbank via a step up supply. I'll know more after some more test gear arrives.

Other folks are seeing issues as well... Panasonic G9 Reviews & Experiences

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Anker 13000 (3A output) doesn't work with mine while the 20100 (4.8A) does but it's not just a matter of higher output . Do a search.

4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    It just so happen that I designed and sell a few pieces of equipment that can be powered by a battery pack. A few of my customers decided to try an Anker powerbank, and it is then that I started to get inquiries about why my equipment would not work with the Anker. After some lengthy investigation and testing, the results were in: the Anker has a charge cut out feature that switches the powerbank off if the current drawn from it is below a certain value. Typically it is around 80mA. So if the connected equipment draws less than the cut off current, the powerbank will switch off.
    You can override the powerbank by adding a 5V wheat of grain bulb or something similar in parallel, which will increase the current drawn, and keep the powerbank active.

The only power banks that I know of that does not have that auto switch off function are the designs like DC 12V 2In1 Portable Rechargeable 8000Mah Li-ion Battery Pack UK Adapter | eBay
    Use the 5V USB output
    These battery packs come in different capacities. I have seen them as low as 1800MaH, all the way up to 9800MaH.

5. Lumix G Experience UK

Lumix G Experience UK Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Damien Demolder
    I've been using RavPower power banks.

They work really well for charging the battery and for running the camera. You can get them via Amazon.

P1055437-HDJM.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ziggy

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
  7. PAC

PAC New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2017
    Newbury. Berkshire, UK
    Hi Damien
    What model RavPower are you using here??

8. ScottinPollock

I don't know what the USB power requirements for operation/charging on the G9 and how they might differ from the G85, but have done the measurements and math on the G85 at G85 Powered by USB

It may or may not apply, but possibly worth the read.

9. Ziggy

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks.
    G9 is about 50% more amps storage.
    If it was lead acid fwiw input would be c. 1.8 A as a rule of thumb.

10. PAC

PAC New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2017
    Newbury. Berkshire, UK
    Bare in mind that i am (at the moment) just trying to charge the battery, so the camera is turned OFF

11. ScottinPollock

Doesn't the external charger have USB input? Will your Anker charge the battery through that?

12. ScottinPollock

Strike that as I see you mentioned that in the OP.

I see the spec on the charger is 1.8A, so I am guessing the camera requires a little more than that even to just charge the battery, possibly exceeding the bank's 2A max output.

13. PAC

PAC New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2017
    Newbury. Berkshire, UK

thanks for your input

as i originally said..

"It WILL charge the battery when the Powerbank is connected to the supplied DMW-BTC13 charger, but not direct to the G9"

This thread was started by my intial confusion that my powerbank rated at 5v 2A could not charge the battery inside the G9 (with the camera turned off) when connecting it to a PC USB port would

According to my research a typical usb port supplies 5v at between 500mA & 900mA

14. ScottinPollock

That's because pins 2 and 3 of the USB port on a PC have a data pair, and when sensed by the charging circuit, it drops the load to ~500mA to prevent frying the computer's port.

USB supplies designed for high current charging usually have pins 2 and 3 shorted, which signals the charging circuit to demand the full load, which in this case, the powerbank can not supply.

15. Neil M

Neil M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2016
    Hi, can you kindly advise which model this is and if there is a list of which powerbanks or requirements of any powerbank which would make them compatible with the G9 to power it during use?

Is this option also available whilst recording video?

Many thanks

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

I posted this info on another site. Some of you may find this useful. I obtained this directly from one of their engineers while attending a show in NYC.

Q: If the G9 can be USB powered, why does the battery need to be installed? While under USB power, is the G9’s power totally supplied from the USB power source, or is it “dual power” (battery + external source)?
    A: Power supplied by the USB connection is not adequate to operate the G9 by itself so the battery must be installed.

Q: If the G9 is “dual powered” – how long will the battery + USB charger be able to operate the camera?
    It depends on the mode of the camera. In the case of Live Mode, it is possible to supply about 90% of power with the USB power supply supplied with the camera. In the case of 4K movie mode, it is only possible to supply about 40% of power via the USB power supply. During charging, approximately 1.5A (current limited) from USB power is supplied to the G9. However, during camera operation, only approximately 1.0A from USB power can be supplied to the G9. The supply current during camera operation is smaller than that during charging because the temperature rise becomes a problem. In theory LiOn charging batteries can be used, but Panasonic cannot recommend nor condone their use because many of these batteries do not include over current limiting protection. Damage can occur which would void the warranty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.