Chanukah present

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Got a shiny new (my first NEW m43 camera) silver E-PM1. After playing around with it a bit I have just a few observations.

1. The thing is freaking SMALL. It's not that much larger than my Panasonic ZS3. That said, it's also pretty comfortable in hand (although it took a little getting used to it), it's also responsive and from what I can tell quite good in the IQ department.

2. My Gordy wrist strap looks HUGE attached to it.

3. It needs leatherette and I'm thinking a grip might be the next order of business (although the wrist strap helps a lot).

4. The LCD is small and while it is plenty sharp I do miss the extra real estate. I can see an EVF on this being a real help.

5. It's remarkably comfortable with the Konica 40 attached to it.

6. Coming from an E-P1 and G2 I am not missing the button as much as I thought I would. I think it and the E-P1 make a nice little combo.

Overall I like it...a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had an E-PL3 and ended up going back to the E-PM1. Once customized, it was easier to handle versus the two-handed layout of the E-PL3. Enjoy!

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have to admit I am surprised at how easy it is to handle with such a dearth of buttons. I did reassign the video record button to be zoom for manual focusing but other than that I rely on the SCP. It may convert me from being a die hard buttons and dials guy.

4. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Hanukkah Sameach! Enjoy.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Happy Hanukkah Kevin!

Yes, the EPM1 is a little wonder. I did have to shut off the dial, though. I kept bumping EV or aperture (depending on mode). The other thing I'm doing that i didn't do before is using spot metering. I use EV less now that i use spot metering (used to use center weighted average).

p.s. -- the EVF is sweet on this little beast, and it's nice you can remove it when you want "ultra compact"

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, I think I may look for a VF2 or VF3 to compliment it. Interestingly I hadthe hardest time figuring out how to zoom images in playback. I did eventually find it but it reminded me that the E-PM1's UI is not EXACTLY like previous E-P/E-PL models I've used. I do like it but there are some transitions.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think you can change the playback review.

One thing I did was set the "record" button to instant delete. Otherwise deleting is cumbersome. I think I have the dial set to "zoom in" during playback.

I have the VF2 and adore it, but does the VF3 actually lock in place? If so, I might be inclined to suggest that one, but if you are using legacy lenses, the VF2 still might be the better pick.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The VF3 DOES lock in place but I have used the VF2 before and it is a mighty nice VF. I also like the fact that it has a larger magnification than the VF2. Thanks for the setup tips. I can't wait to get out and see what it can do.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6556980047/" title="PC200013.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="PC200013.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6556979453/" title="Fire and Ice by dixeyk, on Flickr">"768" height="1024" alt="Fire and Ice"></a>

A few from a morning walk to work. I am REALLY surprised at how much I am liking the E-PM1. The Panasonic 14 aint too bad either. These are JPEGs (Super Fine) with no other Lightroom tweaks.

11. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    My EPM1 arrived today - somewhat by surprise. Adorama shipped it free via second day air. I wasn't expecting it till next week! I'm getting used to the handling. I too was struck by its tinyness. That's obviously it's charm, but also one of its limits. With the EPL1 I have mostly used the EVF for manual focus, since I like composing on the LCD. For me it has something of the feel of a medium format ground glass. But I found myself wanting to put this little thing up to my eye. I may make more use of the viefinder now.

I'm also impressed by the SCP. It took me a while to find it, but I use it all the time on my other camera. On the EPM1, with the dial, you don't even have to enter into the specific menu - the values change right on the main screen. I think that's gong to be useful. I also think I'm going to like the dial - even if it is small and kind of delicate feeling.

I've been testing it on some of the problem areas people have talked about. As the light got dim this afternoon I did find it start to hunt for focus. So it isn't real fast by lamplight, but I could get it to lock on at a reasonable rate at 1/10 at 5.6 at 1600. Any dimmer than that and I put my camera away! I'm hopeful that it will be fun. I'm going to have to put it through its paces in more ordinary (for me) shooting conditions.