Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Iansky, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Is it me or is this site deteriorating into a site to discuss everything other than photography - what car are you driving, what type of bicycle do you ride, what films are you watching ........where is the relevance to Mu43, next we will be discussing what toothpaste we use!!

Sorry to gripe but it is starting to annoy me to see that within the past 6 months the ethos of the site is changing and this appears to be proportional to the diminishing amount of posts/moderation from the long serving members/creators.

In my opinion, we are starting to see fewer genuine photographic posts of relevance/sharing and an increase in "what should I" and "what are you" type posts, add to that the slow but evident appearance of some "trolling".

I am now in the process of searching for an alternative site that offers me what Mu43 did a year ago and hope Armin/others has created one?? The old guard have moved and with the changes I feel I must also follow but it saddens me to do so as this has been the best site for all things Micro Four Thirds for years and there has up until recently always been a great mix of members with good photographic skills, genuine helpfulness, good image sharing and most importantly, posts that have been relevant to the site - Mu43.:shakehead:
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I think you're not right, certainly at the moment. So many posters going on about lenses, cameras, SD cards, GX7 and all that.
    And : the off-topic crud is almost all in this "other discussions" subforum, which is the way it should be.
    And : plenty of lovely pictures posted lately, just the same as it's always been.
    Maybe some old guard have left off posting for a bit while they update the firmware of their X-Pros and add bits to their RX1s :wink:

I do like the more concentrated impression of GetDPI and e-group myself, but this is the most active forum of sensible non-CaNikon posting in my opinion.
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    A lot of familiar faces over at the sister seriouscompact site. A quick count indicates a higher proportion of image to non-image threads (signal to noise?) too judging by my quick count 30min ago.

I'm definitely using the 'My Threads' link more and more - that way I just see the threads I'm interested in or am actively participating.
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    What film are you watching?

I am not denying there are still photo posts and images appearing, but the site was designed as and promoted as a site for all things Mu43 and that is what up until recently we have had.

Maybe it is me just being more aware but I am sure we never had this many non photo posts before - The Off Topic site was initially used for tripods/flash/filters etc before the creation of a specific Accessory link.

I still struggle to see the relevance of posts that have no link to photography on a photo site but that is obviously just me being old school.

Time to review my needs.
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I find this site ok, a bit of off topic keeps things light hearted as long as it doesn't get out of control.

Oh... I use Colgate what tooth paste do you use (great topic ;)

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    You've been a member longer than I so I'll have to take you at your word that something is missing from the site that you used to enjoy. But there are still a great number of photo and photography related posts, that majority I would say, and the ones that aren't I simply ignore. Anyway, here's something to cheer you up. A photo post about your non-photo suggestion:

[​IMG] Thanks for he reminder. I added toothpaste to my shopping list.

Now let's see some more of your fine images.
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Kiwi and Caimi for lightening the mood.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FlyLo

FlyLo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't been a member of this forum for very long, but on other forums that I belong to, I find that random topics such as "what music are you listening to" or "recommend me a good movie" etc helps to create a nice family atmosphere between forum regulars. A way of getting to know everyone a bit better :)
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I blame the Amin the Admin for starting the PC boasting thread! :)

I sympathise with your point, but I don't feel I'm suffering like you are. I seem to be able to ignore what does not appeal to me at the moment. Now I only joined recently, just about when it started to go down hill. Coincidence! Please believe me! :)

There is the old internet principle in play here. "There is great stuff out there amongst the rubbish. Filter, man filter!"
    Adjust what you see, to what you want to see. I don't know how it is possible to do that here on this forum though? But it might clear out the distractions for you.
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

Thanks for the response and like others I do find myself primarily using "My threads" for most of my reading so that I can avoid the chaff.

I just find it a shame that the percentage of non photo related posts is growing and I don't think site has ever been that serious that it needs them to lighten the mood or to get to know someone, I like to know and see what people are using and what they shoot photographically rather than what bike they ride/film they watch.

Maybe the site is going through a period of evolving into a broader spectrum site that covers areas other than MU43 and if that is the case then so be it, it is just not what it was and I guess I have to accept that
  11. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Hi Ian, I haven't been a member as long as you have but even I remember there were quite a few "regulars" a couple of years ago, some of whom have drifted away. I think the overall forum membership is quite larger now, and some people view these forums as a place to socialize.

I prefer to focus on the photography threads so my preferred method of reading the forums has been to click on the "New Posts" up near the top/center of the screen. From there I can go to the newest unread post in whichever thread catches my eye, and skip over many of the non-photo threads. does seem to have more focus on photo threads, but it's also a much smaller group of regular posters.
  12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Ditto on using the My Threads link. I now usually post in maybe ... < 5 threads, plus a few here and there which have caught my attention.

The current threads don't bug me as much. I don't think anything is at fault here - it is an open forum and gear is an essential part of our hobby. But my eyes tend to gloss over threads as soon as I see any gear-related title.

(On a side note - I attributed my being relatively inactive in the forums lately to me being down on photography in general, but I guess that gear-related talk could have worn me down, too. :smile:)
  13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Gear is ok

Hi Herbert,

Don't misunderstand me, gear related talk is an essential part of the site and as we have all levels of experience on here I would expect to see posts asking about cameras , lenses etc but what bicycle you own/car you drive / films you watch......................come on now, that is in no way photo related and if people feel they need posts like this to lighten the mood then I guess they are not serious about their photography.

I just get frustrated when I see the initial intention / mission of the site being eroded by non relevant posts. This is probably one of the main reasons many of the hard core photo afficionados that were on this site when it started have dropped off the grid in the past year.
  14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd bet more folks dropped out because they bailed on m4/3 than because of the "what car/music/film/bicycle" threads.
  15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Ian, I agree with you 100%, there are way too many off-topic and repetitive threads on this forum. This started out to be the best m43 forum on the net, unfortunately about a year ago this began to change for the worse.
    Who knows, perhaps the next thread we'll see will be "I'm going to the supermarket tonight, help me decide which lens to take", - or - ""Do my shoes match my OMD" ..... maybe the mods can start cleaning up this mess.
  16. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Maybe one solution to the non photo threads is to make an adjustment to them so that they won't show up at the "latest discussions"
    and if folks want that talk , they could seek it up by them self...

And just let the photo related threads show up in the "latest discussion" panel?!

Cos I can understand lansky here a bit

My 2 cents...
  17. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Mu-43 has never struck me as a place that offers up a wealth of "genuine photographic posts." It seems like a sociable, supportive (generally speaking) forum with the vast majority of the discussion centered around extremely repetitive (and to be blunt, sometimes inane) posts about purchase bragging, gear comparison and purchasing.
  18. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Perhaps it is the product lifecycle of M4/3.

When you joined the forum, the innovators / technology enthusiasts / early adopters are likely to have been more technically skilled and experienced photographers. So were more likely to be discussing the technical aspects of the camera and their photography skills.

Further into the product's life, the cheaper camera M43 models are attracting a wider audience, and perhaps the original buyers have exhausted their initial set of discussion topics as they now know fully how their camera works. Similarly, the later adopters perhaps have more varied interests than just photography, which is why there are more off topic threads.
  19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Yes, I bet there are lots of mixed reasons. The age and searchability of the forum. The appearance of the OM-D drawing a lot of fresh attention. The departure of the first generation m43 owners who have learnt all they need to learn. People time out when the subjects start to repeat. Where newbies like me ask how to sell gear or fear of buying 3rd party batteries or which Raw program to use.

It's not us newbies to blame. It's you oldies! We demand you stay behind and answer our naive questions.

Er.. away carried, got I there.
  20. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Most of the forums I frequent are related to audio and audio gear, but they all have an "off topic" section for posting about your favorite toothpaste or whatever else people want to talk about.

It is probably a way to keep you on the page rather visiting another forum all the time. Obviously, if I am on this site and decide to go to, one way to do this is to click on the link provided. They would miss that opportunity if I was somewhere else posting or reading about toothpaste.