1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Changing times

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    If someone had said to me 3 or so years ago that I would own 2 Panasonic camera bodies and 4 Pany lenses and only 1 Zuiko lens I would have laughed out loud. I would have probably said something like "photography is my hobby and I want real camera gear".
    Well how times have changed, Pany is now very much in the photography business and produces top quality gear. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Oly, quite the contrary but at this point in time Pany or "Lumix" have the gear that suits me at the moment. I am impressed with Panys commitment to making good gear, particularly the IQ and performance of some lenses. It seems not so long ago you had to have a Nikon, Canon, Oly, Pentax or any other "camera" brand for serious photography, but times have changed and now "consumer" brands like Sony and Panasonic are right up there producing top quality competitive gear.
    It's good to see and particularly the competition between Oly and Pany m4/3, that's good for us folk who have invested in m4/3 long may it continue.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    About 3+ years ago, my thoughts:

"Olympus is sooo dead. Panasonic if you want a miniDV camcorder..."

Changing times indeed.

3. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Similar experience with me

I now have two Panasonic bodies, 4 Oly lenses and 3 Panasonic lenses. I no longer own any 4/3 gear...oh well.
    Dan

4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    It's a cycle.

Canon and Nikon aren't going anywhere. But the time right now favours Olympus/Panasonic's m4/3 format for a lot of people.

Sony needs to pump out lenses. Come on. Use that Zeiss resource and pump lenses out.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I hear you...I have a GX1, PL25, PL45 and P14-45 and both the PL lenses are as good as any lens I have ever used (probably better). Like you I have no particular beef with Olympus but I have found that Panasonic bodies and lenses suit my needs better. I remember laughing the first time I saw a Panasonic camera thinking it was some kind of joke. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji sure...but Panasonic. What's next Sony (says the owner of a NEX)? :eek:

6. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Actually Panasonic has been in the broadcast/video business for quite a while making good gear. They created quite a stir with their dvx100 camera. I already used these products before I got into m4/3 for my hobby of photography. So as soon as I saw the Panasonic G1, this was the camera for me. It was exactly what I was looking for. I like Panasonic cameras for their color reproduction and gamma curves. My photo camera never fails to deliver (at least I can't blame camera). :)

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Several years ago I was using Canon and a local professional photographer was using Olympus gear. I thought it was a shame that she used second rate equipment when I had quality Canon gear.
    Flash forward to today. She is using Canon gear (with incredible skill and outstanding results) while I am using Olympus :43: gear (with less skill but pretty good results). :biggrin:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Your brand of camera or lenses doesn't matter if your images consistency meet or exceed the expectation of the client, (if you're a pro), or of yourself (if you're a non-professional).

• Like Like x 3
  9. I guess that it's not entirely surprising that Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung have all become respectable players in this market, since cameras are predominantly electronic devices now.