Changing Pen LCD to monochrome?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sokar, Feb 3, 2013.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I was hoping those more experienced can assist. I am setting up my EP1 for street shooting and was researching the best settings on different forums.

Instead of buying the bodycap lens, I will use the Oly 17mm F/2.8 + VF1. I have set the SAF mode to mode 2 to enable a preset focus distance via the AFL button and this has essentially removed all delays from the older Pen that at times limited the original Pen body, and the original 17mm lens. The function button is now set to shut off the LCD and I have turned off the lens reset to maintain the preset focus distance when the camera is turned off and on.

I read on an older forum last night an entry from 2 years ago where they were addressing the inability of using the LCD in bright light. One comment was that this user had changed the LCD to monochrome display and raised the contrast, therefore enabling much better LCD use in bright conditions.

I have searched the menus in camera and read the manual over and over, and cannot see how this is possible. I wonder if he was referring to changing the picture Mode to monochrome and shooting in JPG + RAW to capture both B&W JPG and the full RAW file.

Is there any method of changing the LCD only to monochrome without changing the jPG to monochrome?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nope. There's no other way.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Maybe leave it in Art Filter mode ?

Grainy Film might give the live-view look you're after.

The RAW file will still contain the unadulterated data - only the JPG will be 'arty'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    If you shoot raw + jpeg you will have a full color raw file and a black and white jepg. That way you can have a monochrome LCD and color images.