1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Changing focus area on G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Aug 20, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I must be having a senior moment because I can't seem to get back to where I can move the focus area from one part of the image to another. I had it earlier today. When I touched the WB, ISO buttons etc it moved the focusing point around. When I would half press the shutter QUICK AF would show in the EVF. I keep trying to find the proper setting in the PDF manual and it keeps eluding me.

When I get to that mode will I still be able to change my ISO, WB on the fly?

2. f8andbethere

Update: I have found that I can go into the custom menu and turn Quick Focus on. Then it seems I have to go the Quick menu if I want to see the ISO, WB settings etc. Does that sound right. I would have liked to keep the ISO, WB buttons doing what they are designed for and use some other way to move the focus points around the screen.

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    This is the nutsyist thing about these micro 4/thirds cameras. I had a Lumix GF2. Every time you wanted to change WB or whatever you would get the screen that moved the selection area for focus. I got a Gh 2 and you can operate with a lot of manual or dual controls.On the OM-D,it does the same damn thing.
    What you do is push OK twice ,but quickly ,not waiting a long time and it switches over to the screen where you can scroll through the options. If this is in the book ,I can't find it. Actually the OM-D is pretty friendly.

4. f8andbethere

My other cameras are Nikon D3 and D300 where I am so used to be able to change all the basic parameters very easily and quick. I still haven't decided if this is going to be good camera for me.

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    If you go to menu, spanner C, menu 3 and set direct focus area off you will restore the 4 button functions.
    To enable you to move the focus area go to spanner C, menu 1, set Q menu/Fn2 to Fn2 and then in Fn button set set Fn2 to Focus Area Set.

In this setup when you press Fn2 button the little focus square will pop up on the EVF or screen and you can move it about using the 4 buttons and change it's size with the wheel, press the shutter button half way or the Menu/set button to save the position. To recentre the focus square, press Fn2 twice.
    Hope that sorts you.
    The G5 is the same.

Paul

6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Except you can use the screen to do this whilst you are looking through the viewfinder. You need to enable touchpad mode though Menu->Custom->Touch Settings (page 7/8) -> Touch Pad AF to ON and then you can move the focus point as you look through the EVF.

It was the biggest gripe I had with the G3 and is what turned me into an early adopter....

7. f8andbethere

Paul and Arad that is a huge help. I just went in and made the changes including both the C1 and C2 modes. It would have taken me a month of Sundays to figure it out.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Does anyone actually run direct focus area= on with their G3?

Between losing the function keys, focus/recompose, and the touch screen, I just don't see why ...

9. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Alternatively if you don't want to use up a function button for setting the focus area you can press the left button followed by the down button which gets you to the same AF position/size setting mode. To recentre the focus square after shooting, again press left followed by down (to re-enter the AF point setting mode) and press the delete key (same as Fn2 in Paul's advice above).
    I know what you mean. I do occasionally use it as above (i.e. without losing a function key) when I have to, such as preparing for a speedy toddler running towards me so no chance of focus/recomposing. The touch screen isn't good either as due to the lack of eye sensor on the G3 you have to take your hand off supporting the lens to press the EVF/LCD button, select your AF point on the LCD and then press the EVF/LCD button again - all assuming you were shooting with the EVF of course.

The G5 should be better on all three counts - significantly more function buttons, an eye sensor, and touch AF whilst using the EVF.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'll have to try that, thanks.

Paul

11. f8andbethere

While I appreciate all of the advice. the problem with all of these suggestions is that one has to be a virtual contortionist. Additionally, the ability to quickly change the focus area should be very simple and one that can be done while still looking through the VF. While I like the concept of the smaller MFT cameras it seems as though they still have a ways to go before they match the functionality of a DSLR.

12. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    You mean functionality in terms of setting the focus area? I don't think any camera (MFT or dSLR) has it spot on yet, although Panasonic's G5 might be the best of any. Being able to set the focus point anywhere (rather than just limited to a few focus areas) just by touching the screen, even when still using the EVF, could be a winning combo. I don't know as I haven't used one!

Michael

13. f8andbethere

I respectfully disagree about the DSLRs not having nailed the focus area. On both of my Nikon DSLRs (D3, D300) I can choose to have either a single or multiple focus points showing in my VF. It is there 100% of the time. I don't have to go into a menu or press three buttons to make it appear. There is a dedicated touch pad on the rear of the camera that allows me to scroll from left to right or top to bottom. For example, if I want a person's eye to be the main focal point, I choose single focus point and simply scroll the highlighted focus "box" indicator. It is intuitive and, more importantly, fast.

Then again my DSLRs were considerably more expensive. Once I get used to it I'll probably be OK. The learning curve is quite steep and the user manual is good but not great. I wonder if there is a Thom Hogan type guy or Magic Lantern that writes plain English manuals.

14. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The G3 focus area can be set anywhere and the way I have it setup is easy to use, just press the Fn2 button and guide the focus box with the keypad.
    I don't like using the screen to set the focus area on the EVF with the E5, I find it a bit awkward and it can be accidentally set by my nose lol and as such have configured it the same as my G3.

Paul

15. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The way I described is very easy to use, press the Fn2 button, move the focus box with the keypad press the shutter to take the photo, no contortion involved lol. To reset press the Fn2 button twice.

Paul

16. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Paul,

I set my G3 as you described last night and that works great. Now I have to figure out where to set quick menu when I shoot with the touch screen closed. Any tips? Thanks

Lee

17. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    No, you do lose the QM setting that way. You can set Fn1 button instead of 2 if you want but I have Fn1 button set as AEL/AFL.
    Maybe try the way one of the other posters described, press the left button, then the down button to bring up the focus square and the del button to recentre, I've not tried that way yet but if it works would free up the Fn2 to be the QM button again.

Paul

18. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    That's the problem with the limited number of Fn buttons on the G3 - they are very valuable! However you can get by without assigning one to setting the AF point; as you already have your thumb on the four-way control (you are after all about to move the focus point) simply press left followed by down, as mentioned above.

Michael

19. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    It's not really an expense thing, more a camera body real estate thing. The four-way controller is often shared with other things, such as ISO or WB selection on your G3. You can on that camera change this setting so the four-way controller is dedicated to only move the AF point, as discussed earlier in this thread. Set up as such the AF point movement is just as simple as with the dSLRs. However you have then lost four control buttons ...

Michael

20. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I LOVE it - but I wear glasses which holds my face out from the back of the camera - enough to slide my thumb in there and move the area around.