1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Changes to site subscriptions

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As I alluded to in a recent discussion about possibly merging sites (which isn't going to happen) finances have gotten a little tight. This is the result of two things: GDPR regulations and Amazon shutting down their CPM ad program. Overall, ad revenue is down roughly 50% as a result of those two changes.

Several members on the different sites have recommended that I increase the subscription fees and change some of the "perks" reserved for subscribers. I decided to make some changes along those lines. Everything is up for discussion, so please feel free to add your input, especially on item #4 and #5 below. As a reminder, subscriptions will always be optional rather than required.

1) Subscription fees have been increased. This doesn't affect anyone who is currently on a recurring subscription. If you subscribed at $5 per year, that will be honored indefinitely or until you cancel through your PayPal account. For new subscriptions, the yearly rate is $10.

2) I've eliminated the affiliate patron usergroup. However, if you shop via our affiliate links for any order totaling over $300 and PM me with your order number, the total cost, and one of the items on your order, I'll make you a subscribing member. For purchases of $300-600, the upgrade will last 3 months; purchases of $600-1000 will last 6 months; purchases > $1000 will last 1 year.

3) The automatic EXIF info display in the forums is now a feature for subscribing members only.

For the two below #4 below, I haven't decided yet. Would appreciate member input.

4) I am considering limiting Only subscribing members will be able to post new listings (want to sale, want to buy, etc). All members would be allowed to respond to listings. In other words, subscribing members can sell things, anyone can buy them. In conjunction with that, I added the option to subscribe for 1 month for $5. Or if you wanted to make a listing without paying, you could subscribe via affiliate purchase (#2 above).

5) I've removed I'm considering removing the "disable ads" option in preferences for non-subscribing members. Of course I know that you can use an ad blocker.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you! I am now a subscriber. Well worth the $10.

On number four - I see this on a lot of forums and think it is a good idea. Helps make sure sellers are serious.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Thinking of supporting the site by subscribing. If I subscribe by Paypal, does my Paypal email address have to be the same as my forum email address? They're different at the moment...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    For $10, it's a no-brainer. Even though I don't use my m43 gear as much anymore, I subscribed anyways to help support the site because I think it's a great resource.

FWIW, I strongly think you should enforce #4 & #5 to be subscribing members only. FredMiranda does something similar (although its only if you want to sell). I'm curious, but how would you prevent people without subscribing from being buyers? Make that particular forum only open to people who have subscribed?

My concern would be that it would significantly slow traffic/participation in that area, and it is one of the best features of this site IMO. Instead, I would mimic what FM has done, where anybody can buy, but only subscribing members can sell. That way it doesn't impact traffic through the Buy & Sell forum, but it still remains a feature that only subscribing members can use (at least when it comes to them wanting to sell their equipment).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    All seems pretty fair to me to be honest...

• Agree Agree x 10
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No, it doesn't have to be the same address. Thanks for asking!

7. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    The $10 sub is still a bargain imho, considering that a monthly magazine isn't far off that price in the UK. Numbers 4 and 5 are par for the course usually, anyway.

I really like this forum, there's so much to read and so many pics to look at, the info and vids regarding using 4/3 on m4/3 cams I read yesterday, for example, were worth the subs alone :) 

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Aushiker

Aushiker Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    That is not what is being suggested. The restriction applies to listings, i.e., only subscribers would be able to make a listing to sell or want to buy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's pretty much what I meant. Anyone could respond to listings. But only subscribers could start a new thread in that forum. Similar to FM but less expensive and with an option to get selling privileges by making an affiliate purchase.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Does the $10 cover mu-43 only, or does it cover all of your forums?

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's only for Mu-43. Thanks for asking.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. ADemuth

ADemuth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2017
    Koror, Palau
    I didn't know there was a disable advertisements option - honestly the adverts here are fairly inobtrusive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Most magazines are not worth the $10 anyway....where as dynamic forums such as this, to me are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I removed #4 from consideration on my other forums, because Buy & Sell is already slow there. But our Buy & Sell here is pretty active, so I'd like to give it consideration here.

Basically, anyone who wanted to sell something and wasn't already a subscriber could pay $5 to sell for a month OR make an affiliate purchase over $300 to have selling privileges for 3 months.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    OK, subscribed, thanks :) 

On the Buy/Sell forum access, I feel that limiting the ability to sell through the forum benefits no-one and disadvantages everyone. The more people selling, the better IMHO :) 

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. 3 is a really awesome feature. Maybe it needs to be better advertised as a perk.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    $10 plus restraints 4 & 5. No brainer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's pretty cool too. Not sure exactly how to advertise it though!

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    A seller will spend far more than $10 in fees on eBay......I think #4 should be in effect....at least for a seller. I can see letting buyers slide.

I also have no issue with no. 5.

It's no different than a streaming service asking for a fee or you sit through commercials. And while one might assume everyone with that opinion has the money to skip the commercials.....I'm one of those guys that could pay the fee, but prefer to let the ads pay it for me.

20. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I agree with you on number 4 and would strongly support that change. As with the Fred Miranda site you should be a member in order to list items for sale but not necessarily a member to view or purchase these items. If number 5 helps the financial situation then go for it. If it does not then maybe best left alone. And thanks for leaving this forum in it's current configuration. :2thumbs:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.