1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Changes in the Mu-43.com Admin / Mod Team

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I started Mu-43.com in December of 2009. From the outset, my goals for the site were that it would be a nice, friendly place for a community of people who like me were enthusiastic about the Micro 4/3 system. I hoped but never expected that it would develop into the kind of wonderful, active community we have today.

How did we come this far? To begin with, we've been fortunate to have a truly amazing group of members. Along the way, it's taken a lot of hard work from the forum leaders: Streetshooter, BBW, and Brian Mosley. Some of the newer members may not know Brian Mosley, a wonderful, encouraging, positive admin who had a major role in creating the community that we now enjoy. Brian had to depart months ago due to a very demanding long-term work project, and he is greatly missed. Hopefully he will be back with us before too long.

One of the downsides to having a community of photographers who share a common gear system is that some of the friends we develop here decide to move partially or completely when they become users of a different brand or system of gear. Many of you know that I also started a forum at the site of my old blog, SeriousCompacts.com, and one of the best things about that site is that some of our friends met here at Mu-43 who no longer shoot Micro Four Thirds remain easy to find "across the hall" at Serious Compacts.

This really hit home for me recently when BB (BBW) decided to give up her Super Moderator position here at Mu-43 while continuing to lead over at Serious Compacts. BB has been with me here, it seems like, from the beginning. As much as anyone, BB fostered the spirit of welcome and encouragement that is so pervasive here. On a personal note, I went through some tough moments with this site. Without BB keeping me sane, I'm sure that I wouldn't have stuck with it.

With mixed emotions, I now write to announce that Don Springer (Streetshooter) will be stepping down from his position as admin here at Mu-43 and joining BB as an administrator at Serious Compacts. Like Brian and BB, Don has given tremendously of himself to make Mu-43.com what it is today. I can't overstate how important he has been to this site. Yet like BB, Don has moved on from Micro Four Thirds. He now has a growing interest in Sony NEX, and I have no doubt that he and BB will make an amazing team on the other site.

After writing about how important Brian, BB, and Don have been to Mu-43.com and how all three have moved on from our admin/moderator team, it is natural to wonder what will become of this site. The bottom line is that I think we're going to continue to flourish, and here's why:

1. Our members: A community as talented, friendly, and encouraging as this one is a rarity. I can't say that I've seen another photography forum like it.
    2. I remain committed to this site and more enthusiastic than ever about the Micro 4/3 system. With Don stepping down as admin and Brian Mosley on a sabbatical of undetermined duration, I will be resuming the day to day admin role here at Mu-43.com.
    3. New leaders: Our new Super Moderator Alan Roseman has been incredibly welcoming, encouraging, and helpful to other members: exactly the spirit that makes our membership so special. Alan and I are in the process of finding another Super Moderator to help us in our endeavor to continually improve this home for Micro 4/3 users on the web. [April 6 update: https://www.mu-43.com/f68/luckypenguin-new-mu-43-super-moderator-10990/]
    Please join me in thanking Don for all that he has done at Mu-43 and wishing him well as an admin at Serious Compacts. Like BB, Don has many friends on this site. It's good to know that while they are stepping away from these leadership positions, they will continue to participate here as well as across the hall.

• Like Like x 12
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'll certainly add my thanks, here, to Don. Without his encouragement and nagging, I'd still be using iPhoto.:biggrin:

While that part is certainly true, Don has brought much more to me than software. His special way of teaching has enlarged my creative eye and he has been a pivotal player in my photographic journey. I'm sure I am not alone in feeling this.

As I've said before, without Amin, Brian and Don - and Mu-43, I'd still be in the dark ages and clueless about the digital world.

To Don!:friends::drinks::bravo-009:

• Like Like x 2
  3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    why even have this site? you could probably move all these posts over to seriouscompacts and just continue there.

4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    :eek:

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a good question and one which we have discussed. It would be no problem from a technical standpoint to combine the forums.

I still feel strongly that there is a need for a Micro 4/3 user group. It's a different feel when people have a common system. I've felt this at Canon POTN and PentaxForums, both great sites.

Paradoxically, I think that having a site focus on a single gear system in some ways de-emphasizes the gear. On sites like GetDPI and Serious Compacts (both great forums IMO), there is a tendency for the latest, hottest camera to take hold with lots of members joining in on the Gear Acquisition Syndrome. In a system-centric site like this one, many of those other-system cameras don't have the same sway, and in some ways that encourages the images to come to the fore with less emphasis on whether the newest camera is being used.

• Like Like x 8
  6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Don will certainly be missed by many here, and I wish to express my gratitude to him for his difficult action here. He guided the community with a rock steady hand inside a steel gauntlet, and all along has been of tremendous help and insight to anyone.

Thank you Don, hope to see you soon here.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 5
  7. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I had always felt seriouscompacts was more for fix lens cameras. tbh, I wonder why they have so many sub-forums for other things.

Also, having a dedicated branding to m43 makes it feel like it's own community. It's an automatic filter.

And thanks to all the former mods. It's a shame to see em move on to other systems, m43 for life (ok, I admit, the x100 IS tempting...) :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree 100%!!! I loved POTN when I was almost entirely Canon, because I could concentrate on things like which flash to use, how to use it, better ways to bounce or apply indirect lighting, better portrait techniques, etc. I still visit POTN, even though my primary camera is now an EP1, just because of that.

I love mu-43, and hope it would continue. Thanks Amin for resuming leadership!

• Like Like x 4
  10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I'll add my thanks to BB, Brian and Don - it was the warmth and committment of people like them that made this a great forum and yes - there is plenty of life in the old :43: dog yet. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    When I started Serious Compacts, the underlying premise was that most folks thought that quality photography meant really-big DSLR, and I was interested in quality photography with smaller cameras. At the time, there were no small digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.

I remember posting on that blog about wanting new 2/3" and 1" sensor cameras as a follow up to the golden era of bridge cameras (eg, Pro1, Digilux 2, A2, etc). When you put a Panasonic G1 next to a Digilux 2, it isn't hard to see the heritage.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Other side of the street....

BB was among the first people to welcome me to this community. Don played a major role (unbeknownst to him) in my getting back to photography, and enjoying it! I'm grateful to have met them here at Mu-43. I owe Don a debt of gratitude that he's been unaware of...until now. Thanks Don.

Recently I've had more occasion to speak directly to Amin, and to no surprise he's a direct, warm, and welcoming person who loves photography.

It takes only a few minutes to realize he fully understands what the board has become to the members, and finds satisfaction in the community he's grown here. It always feels good to build something useful. Amin has certainly done that.

Don & BBW were a very fine choice for the foundation of Mu-43 and I sure hope they'll spend their share of time hanging out with us on the board.

Thanks Don & BB.

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 5
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    They will be back...

On an unrelated note, I just bought a DSLR... My first.

Don and BB, thanks for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Thanks to BB and Don for the work they have done here on the forum and to Alan for taking on as the new moderator.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks BB and Don, see you on the other side!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Don

Thank you for the hard work and insights into photography. I don't think I would have enjoyed photography as much as I do now if it wasn't for you insight.

To the forum:

I'm glad the whole forum vs gear issue has been brought up. When I joined this forum there weren't very many members, but brian, don, amin and bbw were not just inspired by the gear but inspired to take photos and teach others. Its been a year and a half on this forum and I've personally learned more about the art than the importance of the gear. This forum is about photography first and the gear comes second imo. The PAD and image works are proof of that.

I guess a question is does gear matter when posting on this forum? Does it matter when teaaching or learning about this art? The reason this forum keeps my sanity because its not about gear or the bashing that occurs in other forums.

I'm active on seriouscompacts as well and I hope that the teaching can continue there as well regardless of gear.

Sorry for spelling I'm on my phone.

• Like Like x 3
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Best of Luck to those moving on and Best of Luck to those moving in.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    So whatcha get?

• Like Like x 1
  19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Am glad I found this place. Good vibe. Good group of folk. Talented to boot. BBW and Don will be missed, but I know that those filling the gaps will be up to the task...

• Like Like x 2
  20. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I'd like to join in in thanking Don (Streetshooter) for all the hard work and long hours that he has put into making µu-43.com what it is today.

C U later, aligator !
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1