Changed to Olympus feom P G9

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wen I decided to have a serious dally with m 4/3rds, after being very impressed with Canon M5, I compared the G9 and Oly M1 MII. I really wanted the Oly as it seemed to have everything I wanted. Unfortunately I couldn't find any where to actually have the Oly in my hands and ended getting the G 9.

Don't get me wrong, the G9 has been great, offers everything and more than anyone could want.

So - I saw a M1 MkII second hand and bought it. It is as though it just belongs in my hands!!

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I was shooting a G85 and had GAS to move up to a 20mp sensor. I rented a G9 and M1 MkII thinking that the G9 would be the easy winner since I have been shooting Panasonic for years. I'm now an Olympus shooter.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
My reason for shooting Olympus instead of Panasonic is really simple. Olympus feels better in my hands and looks more professional. The latter reason is purely subjective but I have had Panasonic as the start out Mirrorless SLR and it never felt right in my hands. I have picked up different Panasonic cameras at our camera stores and have not found one that fits right in my hands or in my head. Just my experience and yours certainly may be different.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Wen I decided to have a serious dally with m 4/3rds, after being very impressed with Canon M5, I compared the G9 and Oly M1 MII. I really wanted the Oly as it seemed to have everything I wanted. Unfortunately I couldn't find any where to actually have the Oly in my hands and ended getting the G 9.

Don't get me wrong, the G9 has been great, offers everything and more than anyone could want.

So - I saw a M1 MkII second hand and bought it. It is as though it just belongs in my hands!!
Glad that you are happy with it, Rose.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
It was the feel for me. The G9 actually hurt my hand after awhile, the E-M1 felt great. Also I thought the focusing was better by a small margin.

Two things had kept me away from Olympus; price and fear of the menu. When I was able to buy a E-M1 MkII for less than a G95 (kit only in the US) and didn't like the feel of the G9 I had to give it a try. Turns out I actually like the menu system!

Starting out in mirrorless I was choosing between the Olympus E-M10ii and Panasonic GX80.
Both are capable cameras, bargains at their price points, got similar test scores and so on.
I liked both the 'faux retro' Olympus as well as the 'clean lines' Panasonic styling and both scored for style in my book.
I don't know what made me choose Olympus in the end, it must have been gut feeling because I had never handled either camera before - I tried the Olympus in a store minutes before buying it.

In the end I'm glad I chose Olympus because I've been quite happy with almost every camera I tried from them, while I returned/sold every Panasonic I have ever owned. It might be confirmation bias but the design of the GX series cameras made me just not want to hold them, I could never get used to a rangefinder design (EVF not in optical axis), and they felt more cheap/plasticky overall. The GX9 was a step down from the GX8 in many ways, meanwhile I never liked the G-Series bodies because they simply looked like DSLRs, which was exactly what I wasn't interested in.

And I'm also one of those crazy people that actually like the oft-criticized Olympus menus (the old ones - with the E-M1 Mark ii it got a bit too complex)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
G9 fits my hand perfectly, especially with the 100-400. And since I do video, no doubt that Pany has the edge in that area.

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I went from Oly PL1 to Panny G6 bc Panny fits my hand waaaaaay better. The other benefits I got in the switch I would have gotten switching almost anyn other cam. Oly was the first digital cam I bought- circa 2011. I giggled and laughed at how small and light the Oly was/is. That laughter became a PITA pretty quickly(I wear men’s XL gloves). When I’ve tried to explain the problem folks kind of understand when I say it’s like trying to carve a Thanksgiving turkey using a small, lightweight plastic knife and fork. Yes it is smaller and lighter, but It gets frustrating fast.Later Oly models were smaller than one I was trying to replace.
When I found a Panny to try out I did so with my largest and heaviest vintage glass. I was able to handle this combo more comfortably than the lightweight, minute Oly held delicately by my fingertips.
BTW, the most comfortable cam I have ever handled was the Nikon D5500; it felt as if it was custom molded to fit my hand. That said it’s only a bit better than my almost custom fit G6.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I've never owned the EM1 body style, though the G9 is in the "just right" territory for my big hands. I also love the layout of the G9--buttons knobs and levers exactly where I want them. If I got a second body, I might just make it an EM1, someday...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom