Changeable DoF Images

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jloden, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    My buddy linked me to this interesting project:

Camera HACK: DOF-Changeable Photos with an SLR

Basically, it's a way to get an image you can click on to change the focus point / Depth of Field similar to the way Lytro images work. But in this case, no specialized camera is used, just a regular video-capable DSLR.

In a nutshell the technique is to take a video of the scene, while manually focusing near-to-far on the lens. The software for this project then processes the video to cull out separate frames and composite them into a HTML 5 embedded image with a selectable grid. You click on a square in the grid, and it automatically displays the version of the image with that area in focus.

Thought it was kind of neat and some folks here might get a kick out of it.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In principle one could build an image stack using regular camera (as opposed to video) with adjustments in focus position and use the same tool.

This is an old method but the available tools were pretty limited so it is nice to see some newer tools coming out.

Funny ... can't see the image in IE or Firefox but only in Chrome.

Also, not really excited about 'changable focus' ... what I would be interested in (and have done in another context) is to be able to recompose a new image built from the in focus portions of the image set to produce a single image with, essentially, infinite depth of focus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    (nevermind)