1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Change Oly 25 mm for Panasonic 30 mm macro: good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MMouse, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Yes, I have one and I use it as a walk around lense

2. No, I wouldn't make this choice

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello,

I recently got the Olympus 17 mm f/1,8 and it is a great lense. I used it for the week-end and I tend to think the 35 mm equivalent is more usable for daily photography than the 50 mm equivalent of my Olympus 25 mm f/1,8.
    I try to do some macros with a Raynox adapter and I think it is nice (not the results, but the fact of trying it's challenging).

Now... I'm thinking about selling the Olympus 25 mm and getting the new Panasonic 30 mm macro instead. The little lack of maximum aperture is ok because I have the 17 mm, even if the depth of field at f/1,8 is not really equivalent to the one I can get with the 25 mm.

My question is about focal length: a 50 mm equivalent is still a "classic" perspective, but is a 60 mm equivalent so different? I really feel the difference between the 17 and 25, and I'm afraid the 30 mm will be a bit too long to do other things than macro and portraits, and that it cannot replace the 25 mm as a walk around lense.

I asked myself the question when I heard about the Sigma series, and I came to the conclusion I could possibly get the 19 as a daily lense and the 60 as a macro lense with adapters, but that I was not interested in the 30 mm.

The macro aspect of the 30 mm Panasonic is really nice, but I think I'm not shooting enough macro to buy it if it cannot be useful for daily photography too.

Thanks for your opinion,
    Have a nice sunday ;)

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its hard to answer these questions for someone else, but if you are a wide shooter and prefer the 17, I'm not sure what you will get out of going 5mm tighter aside from macro capability. Why not consider getting the PL45mm macro or the O60 which can double as a portrait lens as well as a macro. I prefer wides as walk around lenses, so my primes jump from 20mm to 45mm with nothing in between.

3. MMouse

MMouse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2015
    Thanks for your response. I'm wondering how is the focal length difference between 25 and 30 mm... I mean, I like the 25 mm perspective, and if I sell the 25 mm Olympus in order to get the 30 mm Panasonic, I hope I can continue to do the same things (daily photography, walk around shooting...).

I don't know if my English is clear, but the idea is to remplace Olympus 25 mm with Panasonic 30 mm. I'd like this lenses to be very close in terms of possibilities, and both quite multi-purpose, except the macro function which will be a "plus" for the Panasonic.

So I'm not really interested in the other macro lenses, because of the price, and I don't shoot many portraits. I'm interested in a macro lens, but only to replace the 25 mm Olympus (which is very good, but not macro) :)