Change my GF1 or Just add a viewfinder.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Gyles, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    As much as I love my lowly GF1 I miss not having a viewfinder. Considering the price of Panny's EVF for the GF1 am I better off selling my camera and buying a new (or used) one that has a viewfinder built in?

I'd anticipate that I'd use the camera at eye level most of the time and can't really see myself wanting to keep attaching the EVF. I'm also trying to use a lot of legacy glass so ease of MF is very important to me.

Cheers.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If you like the GF1 menus, controls, etc., the first step past the GF1 is/was the G2, which has a nice built-in EVF. It's a somewhat larger camera, though, with the appearance of a small DSLR. Moving one step further, the G3 is smaller than the G2 with fewer controls, but has a larger sensor and faster auto-focus. The G2 is available used, occasionally popping up here in the member buy/sell forum. The G3 is a current model, available new or used. Both have articulating screens as well.

With respect to the EVF for the GF1, it's adequate for composing and seeing your settings; it's of lower quality, however than the built-in EVFs of the G2 and G3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

The Panasonic G3 would seem to fit your requirements well. Unlike its G1 and G2 predecessors, whioch resemble small DSLRs, the G3 is closer to the shape of the GF1 but with the addition of a viewfinder. It has 16 MP compared to your GF1's 12 MP and much better control of noise at higher ISOs, so ISO 1600 is very usable.

The G3 is a good used buy at around £275 body only and £325 with the 14-42mm kit lens, although the 14-45mm kit lens that came with the G1 is of course a better performer and has a metal lens mount.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Sounds good to me, when you factor in the resale value of my GF1 and cost of EVF the cost to upgrade to the G3 is great value considering the step up. Already have some nice lenses P20 & P14-45 plus a bevvy of lovely Hexanons.

Thanks guys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    GF1+EVF means slower and less accurate MF for me

I have a GF1 and its EVF, and manual focus is possible with the EVF, but my results are not as quick[1] and accurate as when I use the LCD.

The low resolution (both pixel and I suspect color resolution) of the EVF and the lack of additional magnification steps when you use the EVF mean you can't see things in it at the pixel level the way you can on the LCD. So I only use the EVF for legacy lens MF when the LCD is so washed out I can't focus without the EVF.

-Nicolas

[1] If CD (in the human eye) MF can be said to be done quickly at all. But with the EVF there's more twisting back and forth trying to nail down the optimal focus.

6. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Fewer controls or fewer control buttons with more options through the screen?

7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I bought the G3.

I bought the G3 and am very happy with it as a replacement for my GF1 with the EFV. For me it was a good step forward, and I have had photos published in magazines since I purchased it, so the quality is what I needed. The only item that I would like to have had was a gps so I could tell exactly where I was when I took the photo. Magazines need to know. I have several shots taken with my GF1, most of which I can't sell because I did write down whose they were when I took the shot. But the GF1 was/is a geat little camer. Still if I had to pick one over the other the G3 wins hands down.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Chuck, if you carry a cheap handheld GPS receiver with you, it's pretty easy to geotag the photos in conjunction with storing them on your computer. Several programs - including some good freeware - are available for this process.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yes you are correct, and several buttons are more easily customized on the G3 as well. As said it is also closer in size to the GF1, and the sensor is also a clear upgrade. For value with an EVF the G3 is the camera to get - the EVF will also be quite a bit better than the GF1 attachable EVF, which is pretty crap to be honest (compared to every other EVF that panny or oly have put out).

• Like Like x 1