1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Change legacy lens or compliment it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by battleaxe, Dec 8, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I right now have a Tamron adpatall 2 70-210mm F3.8 lens. I am starting to realize for some situations the lens is a bit on the larger side, which makes it a bit inappropriate/large to carry along(concerts, q&a sessions, and so forth). Really like the lens for birding and wildlife as it is at f3.8 at the long end. Now I am staring at two options. The first one would be to keep the lens, but sort of compliment it with the Oly 40-150mm(R version maybe?), or maybe even Panny 45-150mm if I can find a really nice deal for it. The other options is ebaying the Tamron lens, and getting the Panasonic 45-200mm for wildlife, and the other situations it would come in handy. The down side here is at the long end it would be at f5.6, which is about half a stop shorter.

Both in the use market would cost me under $200, which would be really easy on my wallet. Not sure what would be the better option for me. Thank you.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about a third option: a 200mm f/4 to go with the 40-150mm? They are nice and compact, and would keep that faster tele end that you want without adding all the bulk to overlap the 40-150mm.

3. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Good advice by Ned in my opinion. I have the very compact Konica Hexanon 200mm f/4, which neatly complements the Olympus 40-150mm.

4. battleaxe

Is there any prime in the slightly larger 210mm+ range? Well I don't have the 40-150mm, but just to be clear you're saying sell the Tamron, and get a 20mm F4, and the 40-150mm? I think my only complaint with the 200mm would be I like to many times start out a father length to get the bird perfectly on site before zooming in and snapping the shot(so far was worked out acceptably for me).

5. battleaxe

Is the 45-175mm worth extra over the 40-150mm(extra 25mm not a factor), or does it have a few to many compromises(for ex. QC, or IQ issues?)?