1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Change legacy lens or compliment it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by battleaxe, Dec 8, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I right now have a Tamron adpatall 2 70-210mm F3.8 lens. I am starting to realize for some situations the lens is a bit on the larger side, which makes it a bit inappropriate/large to carry along(concerts, q&a sessions, and so forth). Really like the lens for birding and wildlife as it is at f3.8 at the long end. Now I am staring at two options. The first one would be to keep the lens, but sort of compliment it with the Oly 40-150mm(R version maybe?), or maybe even Panny 45-150mm if I can find a really nice deal for it. The other options is ebaying the Tamron lens, and getting the Panasonic 45-200mm for wildlife, and the other situations it would come in handy. The down side here is at the long end it would be at f5.6, which is about half a stop shorter.

Both in the use market would cost me under $200, which would be really easy on my wallet. Not sure what would be the better option for me. Thank you.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about a third option: a 200mm f/4 to go with the 40-150mm? They are nice and compact, and would keep that faster tele end that you want without adding all the bulk to overlap the 40-150mm.

3. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Good advice by Ned in my opinion. I have the very compact Konica Hexanon 200mm f/4, which neatly complements the Olympus 40-150mm.

4. battleaxe

Is there any prime in the slightly larger 210mm+ range? Well I don't have the 40-150mm, but just to be clear you're saying sell the Tamron, and get a 20mm F4, and the 40-150mm? I think my only complaint with the 200mm would be I like to many times start out a father length to get the bird perfectly on site before zooming in and snapping the shot(so far was worked out acceptably for me).

5. battleaxe

Is the 45-175mm worth extra over the 40-150mm(extra 25mm not a factor), or does it have a few to many compromises(for ex. QC, or IQ issues?)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.