1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Change in site funding

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by DynaSport, Dec 11, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Perhaps I am the only one with these thoughts, and I certainly don't know the economics of this site, but I don't care for the change in the way this site receives funding. Specifically, I miss the ads the site used to have. I know that may sound crazy, but I liked being able to click on the B&H ad and buying something and knowing that I was helping this site as well as doing business with someone who supported this site. Additionally, there were companies that advertised here that I would not have heard of otherwise and it enabled me to do business with them. Under the current model, if I understand it correctly, I find a product I was going to buy anyway, post a link to it on this site, and then use that link to buy the product. As a result of that transaction the retailer pays this site. That makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't understand why a retailer would even participate in such a program. Why should a retailer pay this site when I buy something I was going to buy anyway and that this site had no influence on my purchase decision? If I was a retailer, I wouldn't be too happy to send money to someone who had done nothing for me.

So, what am I missing and can the ads come back? I really enjoy this site and want it to be financially successful so that it doesn't go away. But I'd also like the ads to come back and I wonder how long the current funding source will last once retailers learn how it is being used.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The ads are still here. I've been having technical issues with the B&H ads, but that will be sorted soon, and other ads will come and go. The thread you're referring to where people post what they are about to buy does not in any way violate the policies of our affiliate partners. It's actually very common and accepted practice. For example, look at GetDPI.com or The Online Photographer, and you will see banner ads with explicit requests to click this banner before your next purchase from Amazon, etc.

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I guess I didn't express myself well. I totally agree with clicking on ads to buy a product. What I don't get is the posting of a link here then clicking on it to buy a product.

Also, I haven't seen any ads on the site for quite a while. Is that a glitch or are there no current advertisers?

4. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    As somone who pays for advertising it makes sense to me. With regular banner ads you pay for views, and hope for clicks. The way this works you only pay for clicks that end up becoming a sale. With most ads unless you are giving something away for free you can expect a very low click rate. Advertising in magazines is usually even more expensive for less views and no clicks! People have to buy the mag before they see the ad you paid for. They all have their place in marketing, but if I only had to pay for clicks that turned into a sale Id be very happy. Look at it this way. Everytime someone posts a link and uses it, isnt that business getting more exposure and most likely a guatanteed sale? A great way to support the site and your favorite retailer and not just those who pay for banners.

I hope that all makes sense :)

B

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, since you pay for advertising and it makes sense to you, that is more important than the fact that it doesn't to me. To me it is paying for a sale you were going to make anyway and I doubt the exposure of the links has much value. I still miss the ads.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Even if the individual was going to buy something anyways, I find it interesting as a 3rd party what the person is buying and where they are buying it from. It shows me that the individual trusts that site and they felt what they were buying is a good deal. The hope from the businesses is that others see this and buy stuff too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Perhaps what they are trying to influence is not what you buy, but where you buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi DynaSport!

I have a bookmark to Amazon that gives credit to mu-43 on anything I put in the cart on that visit.

(http://www.amazon.com/?tag=sco-us-20)

However frequently I'll put things in a "wish list" on Amazon. If later on I purchase an item directly from the "wish list" it is my understanding (thanks to Mike Johnston of TOP fame) that purchase isn't credited to any specific website. To give credit where credit is due the item must be placed in the cart directly, not from a "wish list".

So what the new thread (https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354) does for me is to remind me to actually go through the mu-43 site rather than from my "wish list". So Amin gets credit (I should note that I split purchases on Amazon between mu-43 and TOP). I also now purchase Kindle books using the mu-43 thread rather than directly from the Kindle Store on my Nexus 7. Kindle books purchased directly from the device don't credit specific websites.

It's a bit more of a trudge, but other than that it costs me nothing to support mu-43 (and TOP). So, for me, it works quite well.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    And by posting a link to what you will buy you might encourage others to check out the product as well, increasing sales to the retailer.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was looking for the B&H ad last night, is there a link that we can use until the ads are back up?

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've always tried to keep ads few in number for our members. Site donors see even fewer ads. No one has ever asked for more ads :).

I just realized one possible pitfall, which is that I definitely have to make sure members aren't intentionally clicking B&H ads which are served by Google. That would be a big time violation of Google's Adsense policies (click fraud is a BIG deal), not to mention that we won't get any affiliate revenue for those purchases (NOT a big deal). I can't control which ads get served by Google in that front page box that says "Ads by Google", but I notice that B&H ads are served there often to me, and I NEVER want to encourage anyone to click ads in that box - Google would drop us from Adsense, and the main revenue stream for paying bills would be GONE.

I think the best solution is for me to put up banners at the very top of the page like they do at GetDPI: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/

Then there will be no mystery where to click to help support the site with purchases.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks for asking, David. You can click any of the links on this page: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=21662

And you can get to that page by clicking the "Donate" tab towards the top of the page and selecting "Shop our affiliates" from the dropdown menu.